Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC bass shopping advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkateer, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I am flying to NYC next week, and coincidentally am beginning to think about replacing my Mike Lull Modern 4. Other than Sadowsky's shop, where else should I visit?

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Rudy's always has a few interesting pieces. It's on W. 48th in Manhattan, which is home of the famous music row as well as Flashdancers:D

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    you can head down to the 48th street area with a bunch of em and there's always Fodera along with Sadowsky (as you mentioned)

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you will find basses in NYC that you might not find elsewhere, but man, bring that FAT checkbook , because those NYC prices will blow you out of the water if you are not careful!
    of course, as said before
    Sadowsky and Fodera alone are worth the trip-

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    carl thompson's out here, too if i'm not mistaken, but i have no idea where he's at after his move from Bk.

6. Jimmy Coppola at Guitar Boutique is great. 9th Ave at 50th street. guitarboutique.com

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    word!
    Jimmy's place would be a must stop!!
    F bass, Suhr basses, all kinds of goodies!

8. Another vote for Jimmy here! He's near the northeast corner of 9th Ave and 50th St.

Also, Harry at Bunnybass used to have half of their inventory at his Upper East Side apartment, at least until last week. I'm surprised that they sold it all in 2 days, but the whole site has been taken down.

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    dang, i missed the clearance sale.

to sell them all must have meant great deals!

they had quite a few last i checked.

:bawl: i miss the old BB.

f

10. That's what surprises me . . . they had at least 50 basses, and I haven't seen one post yet from someone who bought one.

They announced the clearance by their email subscription newsletter on Nov. 2 and they took down the site by Nov. 5. Maybe a dealer bought their entire inventory?

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    very plausible.

that or a couple of local to Harry dealers.

double dang!

f

12. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I would also check out Fodera Guitars in Brooklyn. Great, great guys and David Beasely who works there also has theGroove Shoppe online. Jimmy's NYC guitar and bass boutique is another must.

13. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Per advice here, I hit Rudy's and Guitar Boutique today. Nothing Rudy had really turned me on, but the two Suhrs Marco and Jimmy showed me at Guitar Boutique were really something. I really liked the Jazz with the Suhr humcancelling single wound pickups (don't ask me how he does that). But the most amazing thing about the basses were the Buzz Feiten necks. The only time I have ever had an instrument play perfectly in tune all the way up and down the 22 frets. Anybody have anything bad to say about Buzz Feiten? I may have to get a new bass with this, or have my old basses retrofitted.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I played that CAR Suhr jazz bass yesterday. I played it thru both Aguilar heads with the Aguilar bottom and it sounded awesome! $2800.00 bucks is kinda steep for me but I loved it. They also had a 78 jazz in mint condition that was heavy and a bit stiff for me but still a nice bass. I didn't get a chance to play the parts jazz bass ( looks like jaco's). I was parked in the parking lot inside across the street and only came to browse. I did buy and Aguilar DB924 outboard preamp though. I was parked a little over an hour and it cost me $16 bucks! Hey but Marco and Jimmy where the best!

15. So, it's still there . . . and it's RED?

http://www.guitarboutique.com/bass5.html

I have to confess that I've been cheating on Jimmy--I just had 2 basses set up by Paul at Peekamoose and I am very pleased with his work. I actually bought some strings from Manny's (knowing perfectly well that they're a Sam Ash subsidiary) because I'm not ready to tell Jimmy that I'm seeing another luthier.

Anyway, the Suhr:

[​IMG]

16. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Sorry, but what does CAR mean?

As of 12:30 today, Guitar Boutique had both the black Suhr with the hum cancelling pickups, and rosewood over maple neck, and 60's Jazz pickup geometry, and the candy apple red Jazz with standard pickups and 70's pickup geometry.

Its not just price, but I've gotten so that I actually prefer used basses. The Suhrs were awesome, but they were so new that the felt cold to me. Call me sentimental, or whatever, but I like having instruments with a history. Imagine what it must be like to own a Stradivarius. All of the music, musicians, venues, adoring crowds it has seen.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    where's this guy? could always use another good tech, especially when NYC guys are always 3 weeks backlogged. :rolleyes:

and Feitenized necks ROCK! i had a "buzzed" MTD and it was a joy playing on the thing. but too bad you need a Feitenized tuner to do your own setups. :(

btw, i havent yet played the Suhr bass, but i know his strats and teles are the shizz. killer Fender'ish maker.

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

19. Paul is on the south side of 46th, between 6th and 7th/Broadway, on the second floor. The entrance is hard to find; take his phone number and address with you so you can call from the street. He's closed on Sunday and Monday.

http://www.peekamoose.com/

My recent experiences:

Took a Garz Rob-Allen type fretless that I bought used in for a string change (from La Bella nylon to Thomastik jazz flats) and setup, and mentioned that the top string sounded twangy in spots. Paul looked at it and played it, and said that the fretboard needed to be levelled because it was probably 18 months-2 years old and the wood in the neck tends to settle once the strings put it under tension. He also recut the nut.

When he gave it back to me, he told me to try the strings, but that he didn't think I was going to like them because the gauge just wasn't what the neck was designed for (43 for the TI vs. 60 for the LB). I think he talked to the builder (Mark Garza in California). The E string was just "boomier" than all of the other strings. After 2 weeks, I decided to go back to the the La Bellas and he put them on and set it up again for free. I have a feeling most places would have just set it up and handed it to me, without the discussion of levelling the fretboard or the string gauge being an issue. He estimated about 2 weeks and it took 2 weeks and 2 days.

Took a Clover-Sandburg Paragon (no, you've never heard of it, bought from Jimmy) for new strings and a set-up. He estimated one week. When I picked it up exactly one week later, he went over exactly what he liked about the design, and told me that he recut the nut because it was too low, putting too much pressure on the zero fret, which would cause it to wear more quickly than all of the other frets. He also slightly recut the saddles because the string needs to make contact with the leading edge of the saddle and not the whole width of it.

I've only been playing for a year, so I don't know any of this stuff! But the last time I took an instrument for a setup at Jimmy's--and he's good--they gave it to me with the same problem it had when I took it in. I had to go back, and Marco told me that the problem was that the nut was too low and put some sandpaper under it. I get the idea that Paul would have noticed that and recut the nut. Sure, he charges for it, but it saves me a trip.

Paul was recommended by my teacher, Jill Allen.

http://www.drjillmusic.com/

When she traded a bass to Harry at Bunnybass earlier this year, Harry raved about the setup (you can read the review with a mention of Paul if you've joind their MIA for $5; it was a 6-string Yamaha) and then took some of his instruments to Paul. He's not cheap, but he delivers on time and everything is perfect.

20. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    http://www.peekamoose.com/
    134 W46th St

I haven't used them, but our singer got her acoustic fixed up there recently and they did a bang up job.