1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NYC Bass Shops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve f, Oct 6, 2009.

1. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toxic, Maryland
    Any 'must visit' bass shops in New York City?
    I'll be up there this weekend and wouldn't want to miss an opportunity.

2. ezrs

ezrs

Sep 24, 2008
    fodera, sadowsky and new york bass works!
    the best of the best

3. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    Okay, go to 30th st between 7-8 ave
    30th st guitars
    guys are nice and... honest.
    Room upstairs has a bunch of old fenders mostly, but u can have privacy and play alone for a while.

Also go to sadowsky. Pick out 2-3 basses and an amp, they lock u in the room alone, I suggest trying the Sadowsky tube amp system,
    this is a great experience.

Go to Warwick custom shop on
    7th street in the village.

4. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    And don't forget to try Grimaldi's Pizza after you visit Roger's shop. He'll tell you how to find it.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246905

6. tat2jim

tat2jim

Sep 13, 2007
    ATL via NYC
    +1 on Dan's. Also, if you've never been to W.48th. Go there!

Attached Files:

7. steve f

steve f Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Toxic, Maryland
    WOW!!
    Thanks everyone - I should have remembered that handy search function...
    I wish I had more time up there.

8. dragonbass

dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    ........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder..........................................................
    Steve,

The Sadowsky shop is not open on the weekends...Sorry!
    Monday - Friday 9AM - 5PM.

Have fun in NYC!
    Rob

9. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Manny's 156 48th st (btw 6th and 7th aves), NY,
    212-819-0576 866-pro-manny

yeah....Manny's is now Sam Ash. don't look for Manny's anymore.

10. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    48th street is sadly a shadow of what it used to be.

11. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    I always wanted to go to Sadowsky and Warwick Custom Shop too. Have a great time in New Yawk man. :)

Fred

12. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

that's right!!! I forgot about the new Warwick shop!!!!!! I need to check that out for myself.

13. Doesn't Carl Thompson have a workshop around there? or is it somewhere else in NY?

14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    carl's shop is in bklyn. i don't think he takes apts, but i'm not certain on that. his shop is pretty small...pretty much all business, but if you get a chance to visit him, he'll fill you with stories of his amazing history. he's seen it all and has done it all. if you are around on sunday evening, he plays a weekly gig at the downtown atlantic in bklyn...EVERY sunday night.

he's a hell of a guy...one of the most inspiring people you'll ever meet. he's recently started posting youtube vids to share in his stories and experiences. he's even said that he plans on making a free series on how he builds a bass (TRULY by hand...and there are the vids to prove it!!!).

as for shops in NYC. unfortunately, it's really down to just the ones mentioned. rudy's used to have some interesting things, but these days rudy's feels just like a guitar center with a good bass inventory with maybe a few nice pieces like sukops or rob allens that are tougher to come by in local shops. but the nyc scene has pretty much dried up IMHO. seems like the best stuff to be found would be down in atlanta at the atlanta bass gallery or some of the other newer high end shops that have popped up in random spots all around the country (they all advertise in the back of Bass Player).

15. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    IMHO These are the "must see" places.

Rudys 169 48th street, NY, NY, 212-391-1699 (Sam Ash and Manny's are right there too) fax 212-768-3782

30th St Guitars, 236 w. 30th st. (between 7th and 8th) Ground Floor., NY, NY 212-868-2660 Fax 212-868-2713

Dan's Chelsea Guitars 220 West 23rd Street NY

Sadowsky 20 Jay Street Suite #5C, Brooklyn, NY
    (718) 422-1123, Fax (718) 422-1120

Sadly, NYC lost Jimmy Coppolo to LA.