Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC Bassists...sound at Kavehaz?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by dylanjohnson, Oct 22, 2005.

1. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    I thought it might be interesting to ask a question about sound in a specific room that some of you may have played in and be familiar with. I've played a couple of times at Kavehaz, and noticed that I have an extremely difficult time dialing a decent sound in there. If any of you have played there, how do you deal with that room, or a room similar... (high ceilings, long room, standing on top of your amp! (j/k).

Dylan

2. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    What's up Dylan?

I played once at Kavehaz and if I remember correctly my bass sounded kinda boomy.

This is the same problem I had in 0081 where the big band rehearses. The bass sounded like a boomy undefined mess, really quite terrible. Now I'm able to get a pretty good sound in that room. What I did was take my amp and sit it up on a chair, and I use my amps soft case as a cushion around the amp. This seems to take away the boominess from the amp. I also wrap a rag around the bridge of the bass to cut a little boom from the instrument. It seems to be working pretty well.

Hope this helps. See you in arranging.....

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I believe Sir Ed Fuqua plays that room frequently....

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i've played there a handful of times and have not really had a tough time with the sound. if i remember correctly it's a hollow stage which always increases the low end, so i just roll off alittle bass since the stage itself is acting like a subwoffer for me. another thing i like to do is not put my amp on a chair per se, but i slide an ashtray under the front of the amp just to tilt it back alittle and break it's coupling with the floor which will decrease the boominess. putting it on a chair works too, but for me that takes out too much lows.

5. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Good tips guys....thanks. I agree that breaking the coupling with the floor does help. I had my amp pointed up at me to help hear myself, and that sort of worked, but perhaps I should have tried the chair thing. I dont usually dig the sound of the amp on a chair unless I need to play really loud, or if the room is extremely boomy. Necessity calls for different ideas I suppose...

6. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    Yes, Kavehaz is one of the boomiest rooms in NYC. I am playing there again on November 16th... not really looking forward to it, because of those sound problems, but hey, at least the band is killing, so I won't have to think about it too much.

Marco

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I almost always use just a mic when I play there. Again that's almost always trio with sax and drums. I'm pretty happy with the stage sound, you'll have to ask bassgeek what it sounded like out in the house.