NYC cell phone carriers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gorn, Apr 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. T-Mobile stinks

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. T-Mobile is the bee’s knees

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. AT&T stinks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. AT&T is the cat’s pajamas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Cellular carrots

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I finally paid off a phone on my Verizon account so I can switch to another carrier. I’ve been looking at prepaid service from T-Mobile and at&t since I can use my Verizon phone with any carrier. I’m looking for opinions on service coverage from nyc/surrounding area residents. Verizon has always been great as far as service goes, but even with this device payment out of the way, I’m still paying too much. Do T-Mobile and at&t suck in New York? I’m hearing mixed reviews from people I know.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    T-Mobile and Sprint are fixin to merge, so that may have some impact on your next choice of carrier.
    I shopped around and around about a year ago, convinced there was something cheaper than Verizon. When I compared apples to apples, Verizon was basically the same price as the other carriers and the network with Verizon is superior.

-Mike

TOOL460002 likes this.
  3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    My brother lived there a few years ago and had AT&T. Asked him and he said no issues with service. T Mobile is just kinda second rate from my experience, but I don't know about NYC specifically.

T Mobile was the worst service I ever had, but Sprint was fantastic. If they merge soon, that could be a possibility. I haven't looked into that, so I can't say.

Best of luck. Verizon really is fantastic, but it's certainly not the cheapest. In NYC I would think there are so many towers you could probably get by with a less pricey carrier.

4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Depending (very much) on how you use your phone and what you use your phone for...

PagePlus or PuppyWireless may be worth looking at. Or not.

I use PagePlus, having started with the dealer for PP who ended up creating PW, but I'm still with pagePlus as they are cheaper for MY use (phone calls, no data use, no monthly plan.) If you are more of a data user PW may make more sense for YOU.

PagePlus IS the Verizon Network (though they can't actually say that, but I can), and where I've been, it's still the best one, coverage-wise. But I hate the plans and overpricing they have.

I had a phone on the Sprint network for several years and it did not work in many, many places where ATT & Verizon did. Likely not so much an issue in the city, but when you travel it can be a big problem. Where I mostly am, VZs network coverage appears to beat AT&T's, but it's been a while since I tracked someone with AT&T service down to compare detailed notes. Still plenty of no coverage by any of them holes around here.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  5. fingerguy

fingerguy Inactive

Aug 2, 2016
    CT
    I say stick with Verizon for when it comes to NYC I yet to find a dead zone.