Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC Get Together in Spring/Summer - Sunday August 8

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Apr 8, 2004.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I think it's that time again.

I'm open to the bar scene, playing, group shoplifting or anything youz guys are up to.

The first round is on me!

Cmon yall, who's down :bassist: .

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    bump cuz i'm impatient...... :hyper:

3. Who are you?

Why, I don't even know you. :p

S'up, Justin?

You know I'm always down for hangin', as long as there's nothing else I have to do. If you guys want to have a jam, give me a little time, as I might be able to locate a drummer, a guitarist or two, and a location where we could play for a good number of hours. We'd have to pay, but I don't think it would be that much per person (no more than a studio) but it would be in a real relaxed atmosphere, with food & drink.

I can't promise anything yet. I'm probably going to see some of these guys tomorrow night, so I may know more by Monday.

As for hittin' a pub, that's a lot easier. :D

Again, I can't promise anything yet, but I will keep you guys posted. (naturally)

Mike :)

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I think these go in OT. One of the guys over there will sticky it for you.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Have we met before :p , I would be up for another get together with you and Mike and the rest of our NY Friends. Sign me up :) .

6. MAJOR METAL

Mike
    Maybe a jam before the drinking starts would be better, i am up to going back to the wake. They seemed to like us their, well whats not to like about a NY bassist ;) .

7. Kevin, the Wake is always OK with me. Two of my friends showed up right after you guys left the last time.

If we're talking about a jam, I know a few halls in my area, and I might be able to swing a deal with the owners on a night(s) when they're not busy. Basically it would be whoever comes to the hall, and we'd be the band. Food & drink would be there, but if everyone wanted to jam, and then eat, it could be arranged that the food and drink wouldn't arrive until we wanted it there. Believe me, no one's gonna play my Casady with sparerib sauce all over their hands. :D

As I said earlier, I can't promise this, but I think I can pull this off.
    Naturally anything can be had for $, but I'm trying to keep this on the cheap.

So, meeting at the Wake (I know other places like the Wake, some are in Queens) we could do with little notice, the hall thing would be when it's available.

Mike

8. MAJOR METAL

I feel you ;)

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Count me in!

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'll try to make this one. :)

11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    As long as it's ok with the Mrs. ;)

Just ask her if it's ok to put your foot down :oops: .

:D

12. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Good deal folks!

Kevin and Mike never fail in messing with my emotions. :bawl:

I'm down for whatever..... but how about June? I know it's a while away, but I have some travel to do.
    With that kinda lead time we should be able to pull somfin funn together.

Ribs, beer and R&B it's all cool wit me.

Maybe we should start a Wrong Robot plane tix fund so the poor guy can get out of the sticks for a day or so. Wicked huh.....

13. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Bump until it's sticky......hint hint :hyper:

14. MAJOR METAL

Lets import some New England Talk Bassers to come to the NY GTG .

15. June sounds good to me, except I know I'm busy on the 19th & 26th, both Saturdays. Let me see what I can find out this weekend. As far as the jam goes, I agree that the more lead time, the better it will turn out. As far as going to Finnigan's, or anywhere like that, I can't make it tonight (obviously :p :D ) and next Friday, after that April & May look wide open.

I'm definitely ready for another Finnigan's outing.

I shall keep everyone informed.

Happy Easter and end of Passover to all who celebrate. ;)

Mike

16. MAJOR METAL

So am I :hyper:

17. O.K., I'm back.

This is what I've found out:

If I can get one of the halls, it wouldn't be until late May, or early June because of all the First Communion and graduation parties that are booked so far. I also have a tentative commitment from two guitar players. I haven't seen the drummer I know yet.

So, for everyone's information, if I can arrange this thing here are the details:

1) It's a hall in a private club which looks a lot like an old Catholic school basement. (a lot of wood everywhere) It's about a mile from the Crossbay Blvd. exit of the belt Parkway, which as you know is not far from Kennedy Airport.
    2) The room is approximately 30 ft. x 70ft.
    3) We'd have it for about 6 hours. (to be determined)
    4) I would bring my amp (Ampeg B100R) but anybody could bring any gear they want. I also have a 20watt Mashall Guitar amp, which is just loud enough to gig with.
    5) We could bring in any food or drink we want.
    6) The normal price for the hall is $500, but I may be able to get it for $250. (I would not rent it at $500 - too steep)
    7) We'd all have to chip in, but I don't see it as being any more that $50 a piece at the most. The more people, the less it would cost. I would lay out the money, and you guys would reimburse me.

It would be like a party, except whoever's playing at the moment would be the band. Naturally, if you know any drummers, guitar players or keyboards, bring 'em down. My idea for doing this is so that it would be a real, full band jam, rather than just a few bass players going into a studio. We'd all rotate playing bass.

So, I just need to know which of you people might be interested in doing this. I think June would be the best, but as I previously said I'd only be able to get the hall when the owner knows he has nothing going on, on a particular Saturday or Sunday. We would have at least 3 weeks notice.

What do you think, guys?

18. MAJOR METAL

Sounds good but we should get a good size of talk bassers to come to justify all the space. So who's cooking? ;) PS Mike did you want to go up to the New England GTG?.

19. Oh definitely! The more, the merrier!

If we could get 10 people to show up, that would work out to $25 each! The night you, Justin and I myself went out came out to about $45 each, and that was only for food and drink. This room comfortably holds 80, and there's a big yard outside, so no one would feel cramped.
    I'd say it would be worth it if we could get as few as 5 people to show up. All I need is a reasonable commitment; ultimately I would be taking the risk as far as the money goes. Also, if this worked out, I'm sure we could do similar jams on a regular basis.

As for the New England get-together, I can't make it that weekend, sorry, Kevin. :(

But, I am ready for another Finnigan's, just not this Friday.

20. MAJOR METAL

Sounds great, we have some time to recruit for late may early june. Mike are their any good places near you to do a beer run?.