Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC gigspam

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Saturday 3 September 7:00-11:30pm
    SOFIA'S at the Hotel Edison (46th St. between 7th and 8th) NO COVER CHARGE
    Jon Raney-piano Ed Fuqua- bass (maybe Dan Greenblatt will stop by and sit in)

Monday 5 September 7 - 9pm
    Birdland (44th St. between 8th and 9th)
    Charley Krachy Quartet www.cdbaby/cd/krachy
    CD release
    Charley Krachy - tenor
    Charles Sibirsky - piano
    Ed Fuqua - bass
    Pete Scattaretico - drums

$25 cover charge INCLUDES 1 drink if you sit at the bar. If you sit at a table, there is an additional $10 minimum.

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hmm, maybe I'll try to make one of those....

3. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey man, I'm only 7 hours out. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I should plan a weekender.

Ed, thanks for the heads up, regardless! I surfed over to cdbaby and listened to the clips. Jazzman's Serenade is now on my buy list. ("Keep the Change" made me dig out Dexter Gordon's "Cheescake". Cool.)

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Thanks for your support!

KEEP THE CHANGE is based on LENNIE'S PENNIES which is PENNIES FROM HEAVEN in minor...

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'll be steaming in from Toledo on Saturday. If I get in early enough I'll be out.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    RAYBIRD - Have you played with Jon yet? If you fall by, you gotta thump on a couple...

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Hmmmm...I just might make it to one or both of these Ed. I've got my first lesson with Ray coming up on Tuesday, and he's playing Sunday brunch at Cafe Loup in the Village. There's a place in the Slope that's currently available, and the wife and I could make it a nice unplanned Labor Day extravaganza!

I'll let ya know if I can make this happen.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    No, I haven't, but I'll make it a grander effort to get out of Ohio early.

9. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I'll almost def. be there!

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Saturday at SOFIA'S was nice; Alex and Fred Pratt fell by and Ray did finally scream in from Toledo. Dan did fall by to do a little ihngesitzen, Alex played BIRK'S WORKS and Ray played MY SECRET LOVE and made a "hammy hands' comment:).

The gig that Ray was doing at Cafe Loup, he's playing with Bob Kindred and John Hart.

BIRDLAND was cool, too. Reasonable house, I was happy with the bass sound (mic through the house system) and I didn't step on anything tender and sensitive..

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I would have liked to have made the Birdland thing -- just didn't want to part with the dough. Gas from Toledo to NYC kinda kicked me in the booty. $70+ to fill my 20 gallon tank.

Those strings really work for you. Much more sound than you got with the Obligatos in all directions; clarity, warmth, focus. I didn't hear them in the same room as the Obli's, so no idea on what they are doing volumewise, but I could hear you clearly at Sofia's.

12. These are Velvet Animas right? but I thought Ed used to use Garbos? I know this isn't a string thread but since you've pointed it out I was very interested being a keen follower of sting comments even though I just stick with superflexibles and make the best of it myself.

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Yeah, Animas. I've never used Garbos, I think I spaced and put "Garbo" in the profile page once...

RAY - if and when, just lemme know, I coulda putcha on the guest list...

14. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Yes, Man, Ed you and your bass sound wonderful! And Ray too! We should have gotten a photo and posted it here

15. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Sorry I missed it Ed, but decided I had no bidness spending money for a trip to the city and donated to the Red Cross instead. I'm sure you unnerstand, man.

However, since I'm not going to completely neglect my own thing, I just got back from LI City and my first lesson with Raybird.

He kicked my ass.

In a good way. :help:

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Ray is indeed bad. He came into the gig Saturday after having just spent 10 hours driving and just played some wonderful ****.

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Thanks for the kind words, you guys. You all (y'all in GA?) were really sounding great. I really wish I could have gotten in earlier and heard more.

18. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Yeah, the RaneMan really swings, don't he?

19. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A lot of music in those ears.