Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC Happenings

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Paul Warburton, May 15, 2005.

1. All you NYC pluckers.....I got some good friends coming into the city for the next three days...5/16-5/18.
    Can you let me know what's good? Jazz, of course.

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Man I live in the wrong place.

3. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    Here is a nice free publication that lists jazz performances in New York City. And you no longer have to be in NYC to get it -- they post the complete publication in pdf format every month on their website. The dates you are looking for start on Page 34 or so.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/newyork/aaj_ny_200505.pdf

4. Thanks Jason...your line up settled it. Confucius...that publication is great...i'll get in on it!! Thanks, man.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Great bassist, Jon Hebert, is gonna be with Andrew Hill. I can't say enough nice things about his playing.

Next Sunday, the tenor player I work with (Dan Greenblatt), his son Tatum will be playing at Dizzy's along with Mike Rodriguez in a trumpet "battle". They're gonna be having dueling tenors, altos etc. through out the day. Prolly with the resident Jazz at Lincoln Center rhythm section...

Buddy of mine, Pete Zimmer, is gonna be at The Kitano with his quintet (www.petezimmer.com) on Wednesday the 18th AND a great singer Sanni Orasmaa along with Carlton Holmes on piano and Ron McCLure on bass is gonna be at a joint called ORBIT in East Harlem.

6. Great...this all gives them some options.
    How's Ron McClure sounding these days Ed?

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I can't say directly (cause I haven't heard him) but my teacher went to check out Lee Konitz at Birdland and Ron was playing bass. Joe's assessment was that he didn't sound bad, but that he didn't sound like he was playing with the band.

8. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    god, I want to move to NY!

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Amen.