1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NYC Subway riders

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Alex Spradling, Aug 24, 2007.

1. My dorm is located at 84 william street between john and maiden lane and i need to get to 55 west 13th for class, best subway to take? I'll prob have a bass with me if it matters.

thanks a lot!!

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  3. thanks ed, is it easy to get a bass through the turnstalls and what not between the william street and 14th street stops?

4. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
  5. I've always just lifted the bass over the turnstile (after depositing token [yes I am a dinosaur] or swiping the card of course) but you can also push a button and go thru a swinging gate. Some stations have a revolving gate door instead. It sucks when there are crowds but believe me, when people see that thing coming up in the air with the endpin tip pointing at their face, they will get out of your way.

Ahh, 55 W 13th St. You're going to the New School aren't you. They sure are making your commute fun putting you all the way down there. Must be a new dorm.

@Ed: :D

6. Yeah just use the service entrances in the stations. Lately most stations just keep them unlocked, just swipe manually turn the turnstile and go through the door. If you need it unlocked just get the token booth persons attention and they'll do it for you.

7. Anonymous75966

Anonymous75966

Jun 29, 2004
    OMG yes.
    ... and even if you're not. It's a beautiful book.

8. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Yep. He knows what he's doing. I make a lot of charts and graphs and things in my non-musical work, and Tufte is my bible. All you need to know, right there.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The section on IRONY and SARCASM may need updating...

10. philip sirois

philip sirois

May 29, 2006
    NYC

That's the ticket. On the way out , if there's no attendant just open the gate using the emergency bar, there's a squealing alarm but nobody pays it any mind.

Lifting the bass over the turnstile? Strictly amateur, or at least too ambitious for my lazy ass:)

11. Damon Rondeau

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Why? Did somebody let some loose in here? I didn't smell anything...

12. You might just try to keep it at the school. Maybe that's an option. I guess you have to be able to get to it at all hours. Maybe there's storage near the practice rooms. If you have a gig you can take it home at the end of the day...Just a thought. And on a side note (and this may derail the thread, accidental double pun), when you walk with the bass with a wheel turn it sideways instead of face-on. It's way easier to navigate through the masses that way- quicker turning and narrower. I see guys all the time walking down the sidewalk, wheeling away, cello-style (bass bridge pointed forward), and I think: why do they do that? I always walk with the bass sideways (bridge pointing sideways to the left) which feels way more protective and maneuverable.:eyebrow:

13. Cosmos

Cosmos

Sep 21, 2006
    New York, NY

I had to do that once at 14th street when there was no attendant and the service door was locked. It was HORRIBLE I thought I was going to faint. So yes, I concur, avoid this at any cost!

I had the worst subway riding experience in May. I was taking the 1 up to Juilliard and it was rush hour... at 59th street about 30 people started packing on the train and I was trying to protect by bass but I was getting suffocated. It was horrendous.

14. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    As someone who knows the New School well (that's where the OP is trying to get), that's not an option. Practice room space is extremely limited, and he's going to need to be able to practice at home. Plus, wouldn't you want you instrument in sight and available at all times? You know, last minute gig or session, you have some great idea for a tune, etc. And lastly, he should learn how to deal with NYC mass transit, and the crowded city streets. And speaking of those streets...

I'm one of those front-first guys, and why do I do that? First of all, the bass feels far more stable on my shoulder that way, and, while it is wider, for me it is much easier to manuver. As far as the bridge being protected, because the front of the bass is angling away from anyone walking towards it, i'm more comfortable with the bridge facing forward. On a crowded street it seems more likely for a person to bump into the side of the bass than to fall onto the front of it. But then again, if you're pushing a bass through a crowded city street at rush hour, whether it's facing forwards, sideways, or backwards, unless it's encased in titanium you're one good hard shove/bump from being really screwed. And as a P.S., while I don't remember what the exact reason was, I remember Bill Merchant telling me not set the bass sideways on the wheel, that it was bad for the instrument's health in some way.

15. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    I just moved to Philadelphia, and am having to learn with the mass-transit transporting issue as well. I have not yet gotten a wheel (I certainly need to, it's a 7 block walk from my door to the subway station!). What's every one's opinion of the new KC-Strings bass-buggie? (I have Upton's bass bag with built-in wheels for my plywood bass, but I don't like the way it fits my carved bass or the placement of the handles) South Philly has some pretty crappy, bumpy sidewalks and I want to make sure that I'm not going to have to worry about bumping my end-block around.

On a side note, my subway stop doesn't seem to have a service door for me (at least not that I've found yet), so I do have to lift my bass over the turn still after carrying it 7 blocks. Ugh....

16. someone should make a mapquest type of thing for the subway. maybe it seems noobish or whatever to you guys but it would make things alot easier for people who havent been in the city long.

17. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification

Try this:
    http://tripplanner.mta.info/

I was just there for a few days and this helped me out a lot!

18. I sorted it all out,

thanks for all the help.

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    The information you really need, is generally the hardest to come by - what trains can I take that the transfer is just walking directly across platform and NOT up four flights of stairs and down three? Which car and what car door is directly across from the stairwell closest to the closest exit to the gig? Which end of the platform is most likely to have the exits locked?

You tend to work this out by doing it a lot.

20. The most important advice I can offer is AVOID THE ELEVATORS! Unless you enjoy being in a stuffy, smelly, slow moving box. People use them for toilets (or at least it smells that way).