Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC TBDB Chapter

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Aug 28, 2004.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'd like to compile a list of NYC TBDB'ers.

'Don the Zebe' might be coming to town in September and I'd like to try to organize a NYC TBDB hang. Maybe hit Gages shop, do some dinner, and then perhaps end up at one of the local jazz hell-holes for spirits and BS.

Chime in with your name and email address.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You got me down already, right?

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Of course, silly.

Off the top of my head I have:

• Higdon
    • Fuqua
    • Parker
    • Mike da Mook
    • Savino
    • McGuirk
    • Weidenhammer
    • Panascia
    But I'm sure I've missed some (and embarrassingly they'll be obvious ones, I'm sure). I'd like everyone to list here, though, so that I don't have to spend forever digging around TB strying to extract email addresses and contacting those that didn't list their email address in their public profile, etc.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Don't ferget Peter Dalailama :smug:

5. Savino

Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    nyc
    hey hey. count me in.

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Ray, How is Tuesday that week ? I teach all night wednesday. OR thursday. I'll keep both open...

THat is the week of da 5th fella's...

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    How's Thursday looking? Or later Tuesday?

I have this regular Tuesday night session that, generally, it would be fun to see how many bass players we could cram into the room. But this will be the first session back for the piano player, after having spent all August in Wisconsin (although he did get to do a nice hit with Carl Allen). So I know Dave is going to be jonesing to stretch out a little. So if it's Tuesday, I'll be available after 9:30pm, just lemme know where.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    If nothing else pans out I can cancel my weds night lessons. They probably need the break as much as I do.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    anyone ask Smith ?

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think he's a member of the Philly chapter, but this wouldn't exclude him from the hang...

11. Hazeltine?

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Naw, I don't generally inhabit that rarified air. Dave Marck, nice player and infamous sessioner. His "daygig" is as a musical director and accompanist for the National Dance Theater workshops (replacing Neil Kirkwood) and, since he has alla this time off in the afternoons, has been running a variety of sessions since I met him back in 87. A nice assortment of cats coming through - Jimmy Cozier, Ralph Hamperian, Scott Napoli, Cleave Guyton, Bob Kenmotsu - if they move to NYC at some point they do a session at Dave's.

13. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Ray, you can count me in. We rapped one late night on the subway after you were coming back from Pennsylvania...got off at the 7 AVE F.

I'm out of town the last half of the month but if you guys get together before then, I'd love to join you.

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I remember talking to you -- sure!

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Hey, how bout Phil Smith?

16. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Just talked to 'The Zebe' and he'll be coming in on Thursday, September 9th. Mark it on your calendars and let's see what we can put together. I'd have everyone over to my place but it'd look like a window display at a shoe store if we have more than four or five.

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Hey, another "part time" poster, Alex Cuadrado, has a gig at DETOUR on the 9th. It's usually Mark Ferber on drums, nice band, nice tunes...

18. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    That might be a good gig to check out. I love Detour's cover charge:FREE!!. And Ferber is great.

A quick check of the new All About Jazz also lists Mike McGuirk playing at Cornelia St. with John McNeil Quartet (w/Mark Small and Allison Miller). The cover there is listed as $8. Time: 9 pm.

Lots of good stuff going on, as usual...

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  20. Sounds good to me, Sept. 9th it is.