Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC TB'ers: Rig for CBGB audition gig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Nov 20, 2003.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Like so many others, I'm being dragged in to play the obligatory 30-minute audition at CBGBs next month.

I'm trying to find out what they actually have in terms of a sound system but the phone is forever busy and the email relpies refer you back to the web page where it says "Please don't e-mail us in reference to booking gigs..."

OK, I'm driving in from my sister's place in Brooklyn and I hope I can get a safe parking spot near the club.

My big rig consists of:
    Rack case - Ampeg SVP-Pro Preamp/ QSC RMX2450 amp (~60lbs)
    Cabs - BagEnd D10B-D (71 lbs), and S15B-D (78 lbs)

The rig has mega power; but it's pretty big.

What do other bands run on those nights?
    I can't stay around and loan out my rig to other bands either.

2. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    are you playin the actual CBGB's or the gallery next door. i know in the gallery you're on your own, so you have to bring your own amp. I played out of my 1x15 and was fine. I cant remember if they miked you or not. I had my SansAmp with me. When my band CBGB's i wasnt in the band but i was there, but i cant rememeber......at least i bumped the thread up.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's actually three parts to cbgb's. There's cb's main, the gallery and the lounge downstairs.

We usually play the lounge, we're too loud for the gallery and not loud enough for the main!

At the gallery, as lawndart said, you're on your own. Bring all your own rig.

At the lounge, again bring your own rig but they have a pretty decent PA there and usually a decent soundguy so you don't need to bring your rig of death. Last time I played there I used my EA 1*12 and was fine. Guy in the band before me had a 4*10 - slight overkill!

I've never played the main venue, so can't help there. As for parking, you're rolling the dice in terms of how close you'll get. I'd recommend unloading outside the venue, then getting someone else to park while you load in and set up.

4. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Check with the band and see what they've got... they should know. If they're trying out a bunch of people, I doubt they're gonna make everyone bring in cabs-- amps maybe, but probably not cabs.

5. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    I played cbgb's main back in 1995. i think there was 5 bands in 4 hours or something like that. back then i was using a hartke 4x10, a gk 800rb and a kubicki factor. the room was loud and fun. it didn't take too many people to make it feel crowded. there was no downstairs and the next door was a pizza place.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm pretty sure it's the main OMFUG area.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you're playing the regular "OMFUG" CBGB's, I'd keep it simple. They have an incredible sound system & I've honestly seen a band play with Crate combos & the sound comming thru the PA sounded great.

Bring enough so you can hear yourself on stage.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When you play CBGB's you have to bring your whole rig.. instruments, amps, drums, etc.

9. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Gotcha. A lot of NYC places do have their own amp rig that you can use-- but I've never had the honor of playing CBGB's.

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Nino...thanks. I knew you'd been there.

It is an audition night and I think we're up first (8:30). I think I can get by with just the head and 210. Even without too much PA support, that would be plenty loud for the stage.

I won't be doing much worth hearing anyway. Unlike previous bands, this stuff is very much guitar oriented riff-rock.

Really we're doing the audition for the owner of the Restaurant across the street.
    He's a friend of our singer and has some parties out at the Hamptons through the summer.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Ahhhhhhh, the infamous CB's. Played many gigs there. Jerky soundmen & worse bartenders(never a buy back). Also, watch the floors when rolling your equip around, very unpredictable/uneven.

Tip: Don't play on "11", they'll shut you off in the PA. Have a friend listen for you during your soundcheck(IF you get one) through the PA, you're just a # there...

later,
    ~S~

12. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    you're just a # there...

I'm thinking this is pretty much a universal thing :D