1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NYC - things to do, places to go

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jul 18, 2008.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Okay folks, start spreading the news... :D

With a big contingent of TB's finest converging on the Big Apple for the weekend around August 3rd, there's going to be a few of us folks in the city looking to make the most of the visit. So, suggest some good ways to spend time there - I'm thinking music stores, places to eat, bars, music venues et cetera.

You probably don't need to mention the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty. Let's have some local knowledge of some hard to find places. Personally, I'm particularly interested in music stores and also bars where there's some good jazz going on to check out. Maybe we could even set up a few social gatherings that are in addition to the actual GTG.

Okay, go... :hyper:

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
  3. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    We've got a few music stores too...

The Fodera and Sadowsky shops are in Brooklyn, kind of out of the way if you'll be staying in the city, but you can get there if you're determined. Our own little "music row" is on West 48th Street, near the corner of Seventh Avenue, in midtown. Ya got yer Sam Ash, Manny's and Rudy's, among others (Rudy's has the best, high-end gear by far).

There's also a Guitar Center on West 14th Street, between Fifth & Sixth Avenues, I believe. You really want to go there? :eek:

Other than that, Matt Umanov's shop in the West Village, and West 30th Street Guitars (between Seventh & Eighth Avenues), for vintage gear. Nothing there you haven't seen before, I'm sure...

MM

4. don't forget the upright folks!

http://www.davidgage.com/ david gage's shop is on walker st. down by canal st.

http://merchantbass.com/ bill merchant is on west 29th st. in manhattan (by appointment only)

i know there are others, but those are the two i've been to

5. fans of led zeppelin can get a look at the buildings on the cover of physical graffiti by walking down st. marks's place between avenue a and 1st ave. (they're building numbers 98 and 99), look it up on google streetview :)

6. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    "Music Row" such as it is, is actually on 48th Street.
    Lower East Side has three cool little guitar shops and is a place most tourists don't go
    Guitarman, Rivington Guitars and one other shop specializing in used & vintage guitars is down there on Rivington Street. Fodera's Shop is not really open to the public unless you call first. If you are feeling adventurous there is a Jazz Dive Bar called St. Nick's Jazz Pub on 148th Street near the 145th Street stop on the D,B,C & A trains. An interesting place for take out food is this little window on 46th street (no tables/chairs) called piece of chicken that sells $1.00 pieces of fried chicken that are slamming! I also like their baked Jerk chicken. Pick up a copy of the "Village Voice" (look for the red boxes on street corners)a free local paper with tons of live music listings. So much variety it's hard to recommend places without knowing what els you are into. Enjoy NYC!

7. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    JmJ, where on 46th is piece of chicken? Gotta try that next time I'm in town!

8. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Piece of chicken is on 46th street between 8th & 9th Avenue, closer to 9th ave. Used to be just a window till they added an awning. Obviously no seating but the park by the river is a short walk & they've got little tables. The water taxi stop is there as well as a bicycle rental. I'm blathering now I'll just stop here.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    How about some Blues Clubs, too?

10. Mystic Michael

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Right. I knew that... :oops:

MM

11. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Not much to choose from. BB Kings (has all kinds of music in the main room but at the bar (free!) it's always blues & gospel.
    Free admission / high priced drinks. BB Kings is on 42nd Street between 8th & 9th Avenue. Rodeo Bar sometimes has blues (375 3rd Avenue). Terra Blues on Bleeker Street is a full time blues joint.
    Bobby Radcliff, New York Bluesman will be there The weekend of GTG.

12. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC

Whiskey Ward = my favorite bar for happy hour (ends at 8PM)
    $3.00 pints of Brooklyn Lager seem to work for me. Gets too crowded when happy hour ends though. In the Lower east side.
    Essex street between Rivington & Delancey Streets

13. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Don't discount the GC on 14th. The Manhattan Vintage Collection is there with TONS of awesome old Fenders, Gibsons, etc.

If you see Rik Mercaldi there (MVC sales guy), tell him Dave Muscato says hi!

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This is great so far, guys. I shall certainly make a point of getting to some of these suggestions. I've been to the music stores on 48th St last time I was in NY, but shall get back there again this visit. I'm also planning on getting over to Brooklyn again to visit Sadowsky at some point.

The chicken place sounds great! I'll be sure to get in there, perhaps on the way back down after spending some time in AMNH which I remember was a really fascinating place to look around last time.

Thanks a lot - keep 'em coming!

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Wow. That would be dangerous for me if I lived too close to that bar.

16. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Eat a good ole' greasy burger at the Shakeshack on the SE corner of Madison Square Plaza (23rd & Madison). Best darn hamburger in the world!

17. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    On a similar note, the Joe Strummer mural featured in this video is on the Lower East Side, at the corner of East 7th St. and Avenue A* (on the wall of a club called Niagara), right by Tompkins Square Park. I haven't been there yet, but I'm determined to see it this time.

*Avenue A is the first north-south street east of 1st Avenue.

18. heh yeah alphabet city is my usual stomping ground. i've never been able to get over how little that actually looks like joe strummer :p the physical graffiti buildings and Niagra are really close, like 2 blocks away. if you're heading east on st. marks from 1st ave, the buildings are on your right. keep walking until you get to ave A (st. marks ends at tompkins sq.) and hook a right, niagra is like a block up on the left

another neat building is the exterior of the ghostbusters firehouse (aka hook & ladder #9) on 14 N. Moore Street in Manhattan

some other neat movie locations here: http://www.easynewyorkcity.com/movielocations.htm

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think you take the F train to Brooklyn and get off at York. From there, it's a short walk to Roger's shop at 20 Jay Street.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021