NYC This Weekend

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jobu3, Oct 25, 2004.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'm going to see a Broadway show with my G/F Friday evening. What bass/music shops should I check out whilst out there? Any cool mom and poppers that have nice gear? Addresses included please.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Apart from the 48th street (b/w 6th and 7th) shops (Manny's,Rudy's,Sam Ash) there's the bass boutique (746 9th Avenue, b/w 50th and 51st).
    Also 30th Street Guitars, (30th b/w 7th and 8th)
  3. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Thanks, David! Anywhere else I could look into? :confused:
  4. Dude! NYC this weekend.....HALLOWEEN!!!!! I have heard it is basically like marti gra but with a Halloween theme, tons of people just running around having fun, and what not. That is what any NYC this weekend threads need to be based on :)

I was going to be going with a group of friends, but now we aren't going. Two of us are going to a party instead...whatever, as long as the two of us are together we will have alot of fun :cool:
  5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Uhh, thanks for the help. :meh:
  6. hahaha, sorry about that.

Back to your thread, with your topic now:
    I can't help you, sorry
  7. Big Joe, you can try checking out Matt Umanov on Bleeker St. near 7th Avenue South.

I don't know why he doesn't have anything listed in the new bass section of his site. :confused:

If you're going to see a Broadway show, this place is definitely out of your way, but if you want to walk around The Village either before the show, or the next day (if you're staying that long) you can also see the freaky part of The Village.

Everyone should be in The Village once in their life on Halloween; it's the one day The Village appears normal. ;)

Enjoy the show.

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    :eyebrow: :smug:

I'm taking off work Friday and going to head up early to see the sites and be a tourist for a while, so I may have time... The show is not until 8:00. I unfortuantely have a wedding the next day back home so I won't be around past Saturday morning. :meh:
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dont bother with Umanov's. crap. only go there if you need a reliable vintage restoration cause Tom and Darryl rawk.

but hey, Biggie, we should meet up! let me know.
  10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I'd love to! But unfortunately I'm going to have to do a fair share of traipsing around with the G/F and I'm not sure where I can be or when I can be there. I'm thinking of getting out for a whole weekend around Christmas if I can... Perhaps then? Maybe a more NY/NJ/PA-oriented NE GTG is in order (other than the CT GTG currently being planned)? :bassist:
  11. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I went to the three shops on 48th.

Had a couple Fodera 4's, a Smith 5, a Pedulla 6, no remarkable amps to speak of. Played everything though a GK 700-RB and an Aggie 410. Sales guy was trusting and nice. Very friendly! Also, kudos to them for having an elevator to get my G/F up to accompany me (she's in a wheelchair).

Sam Ash:
    With the exception of a Fodera 4 in the store window, they had nothing I really wanted to try out: Mostly selection of low- to middle-end gear. No sales people approached me or bothered me, for the 15 minutes I was in there for better or for worse... At best, I was hoping for at least some sweet deals on some used gear.

I found that the bass room was up on the third floor and I wasn't about to haul the littel lady up there. Thankfully, she was happy sitting amongst the Rickenbacker guitars on the first floor. She has an odd fascination with them. :confused:

Anyway, I get up to the third floor and walk in and, I think to myself, OMG, this is why I came! Two Sukops on the wall, Smiths, Ritters, MTD 635, Pedulla, Pensa's out the rear end. And low and behold, 2 Bergie 112's which have been very alluring on paper and the internet but ellusive to me in the real world. It's just me and another guy who were in the room with the salesman. After five minutes the other customer leaves and it's just me and sales dude. This guy doesn't make eye contact. He doesn't say hi, how are you, can I help you, etc. He makes a phone call and then starts dusting, so I take it upon myself to ask if I can try the Berg 12 stack and he seems bothered by this but hooks me up to an amp. He didn't ask what I play or would like to play and just hands me a KSD-705V. Not a bad choice at all, just not my first choice. After playing for maybe five minutes through an EBS-350 head, I ask if I can try it though the Aggie 680 they have racked up, so that I can see how it sounds being as that's what I have at home. He's bothered by this even though it only took about a minute and a half at most to set everything up. I try and make small talk... So, what do you play? He replies, "guitar," and then proceeds to start dusting the already clean gear. Not about to let him off the hook, I ask if he plays bass at all and he said something along the lines of only here at work really. Hard to understand with him mumbling. I ask if I can try a Pensa and this seemed to push him over the edge... I tried more small talk about Strats, which were what I eventually found out he plays. He actually walked away in kind of a huff and called Rudy to see when lunch was. I even tried saying that I was from PA and that I was only in NYC for the day. Nothing. I left the room and got out of there. If I had enough time, I might have went as far as to purchase me some Bergie 112's and have them sent home. My G/F said that who she thought was Rudy (he was speaking Italian on the phone) was very nice... She was amused the whole time she was left alone which is odd for her.