Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC Transit Strike Day 2!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tbirdbassist, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Things arent looking good.

The commute is horrible. I've been staying home from school, cause its just too expensive to travel. $4 on the LIRR going one way is just a bit much. The school metrocards are obviously invalid and $8 a day is a lot to just travel to school, where there are only 200 out of 1400 kids (I go to the HS of Art & Design) in attendence.

I live about a 10 minutes walk from the Locust Manor LIRR station and trains dont even stop there until later in the day. Trains were bypassing that station, I found that out from my mom this afternoon when she called me. She had to walk from the Locust Manor station, along with others to the Laurelton Station (which is quite a walk) to catch a train, after waiting an hour until a worker announced trains werent stopping at Locust Manor.

Penn Station is hectic, and my school is on 57th street and 2nd Avenue, Penn is at 7th/8th and 34th. Thats a hell of a walk. One which I really dont want to take.

I'm glad I'm not going to school, but I fell sorry for the people who have to commute back and fourth. I wanted to head into GUitar Center on 14th street one last time before Christmas, but looks like thats not going to be happening anytime soon. :rollno: :scowl: :(

What other TB New Yorker's/New Jersy-ians who work in Manhattan, or use the subway/buses period are affected?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm one of the few selfish one's who's actually enjoying this. I substitute teach at a HS... 10 minute drive to work for me, hardly any kids are showing up, we come in an hour later, go home the same time as usual, classes are only 20 minutes each... yeeeehah!

I'm glad they've got the guts to do it. The UFT gets pummelled by the politicians cuz they're a bunch of kitty cats.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I just moved out of my dorm on Broome and Lafayette yesterday for the vacation. Biggest pain in the ass ever. You don't realize how much you need the subway until there are chains and closed signs across the entrances.