Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYC Transit Strike

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Anyone being affected by the strike? I live in LI, so I'm not really feeling it at all unless I decide to go to the city. I'm just glad there's no concerts coming up, cause if there were I'd most likely be taking a train to the city and maybe a subway too, then I'd be screwed.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am stearing clear of the city if i can , A million bucks a day it is going to cost the union to keep striking.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Not for nothing, driving to work has been so much easier with the strike on. The HOV lanes are full of cars with 4+ people and today and yesterday, it took me 20-25 minutes to get to work where it usually takes 35-45 minutes. I work in Brooklyn (DUMBO)

On the other hand, my wife works on 53rd and Lex and she stood home both days so far. She's sick as a dog (has the Upper Respiratory Infection I had 2 weeks ago) and she's still trying to find a way to work. If it wasn't for the strike, She's be at work all sick so at least she get to sleep it off.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My best friend goes to SVA. At noon, he hauled his winter break luggage from 22nd & Lexington to Chinatown to catch the Chinatown bus to Boston. He called me at 8 to tell me he was just getting on the train to Providence. All kinds of suck that is, 'glad' I'm taking Amtrak.

5. Yikes! This sounds terrible. Good luck, New Yorkers.

6. It is pretty bad, but I don't think it's gonna last that long.
    The strike is techincally illegal since they didn't follow the standard procedure or whatever, I think they're supposed to announce that the strike is going to happen, give a reason for it, stuff like that. But they just said "fu** this, I'm not working". I doubt it's gonna last more then a week or so.

7. As an old Romanian neighbor of mine once said about the last transit strike in NYC, 25 years ago, "In the old country, if you don't want to go to work, Zey keeel you!" :eek:

It's a pain in the butt, but we're dealing with it.

Hopefully it will end ASAP.

Mike