NYC Transit Strike

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Fred W, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Anyone beside me worried about the possible upcoming strike? Bloomberg's idea of restricting access to manhattan to cars with at least 4 people monday-friday sounds onorus.I thought this forum could be a tool for communal self-preservation if worst comes to wurst.I beg the indulgence of those far from the BigApple for my use of this space on a local concern.
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    This is the second such scare I've been through since I moved here. It'll be the 59th minute again, no biggie.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Byt the way. Screw Bloomberg. There isn't a thing I can say nice about that bastard. I'm amazed he has the 'nads to walk the streets.
  4. I was just reading that your friend is going to completely ban smoking in bars and restaurants. I don't smoke, but if there's anyway to kill a bar (and a jazz musician's gig) it's to ban smoking.
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The most popular jazz place in San Antonio is a totally nonsmoking club.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I don't think there's gonna be a strike - as someone else said, they almost always seem to come to some sort of last second resolution. If they do strike, on a little bit of a selfish note, it works in my favor as I teach at a H.S. and classes will be cut to 20 minutes. It takes me 10 minutes to drive to my school, and I could walk if I had to but I wouldn't have to anyhow.

Now this smoking thing!!!!!!!!! I don't smoke (quit), and cigarette smoke annoys the hell out of me, but I feel banning it is nothing less than the actions of a complete and total control freak. If people are afraid of 2nd hand smoke, then they shouldn't go to bars. Period. All Bloomberg is going to do is cause lots and lots of problems with this crap. he's going to put lots of people out of work, including many of us. Our gigs have been getting cancelled left and right cuz the bars aren't making any money, I can't even imagine when people can't smoke there anymore.

And picture the scenario. I've played a few bars, for some reason Irish bars seem most notorious for this, where fighting almost seems to be a sport. Take a bunch of these drunken guys and tell them they're gonna have to take those cigarettes they just lit up out into 25 degree weather. Even if they complied (which they wouldn't it) try telling them they can't take their beer out with them - or, in the best case scenario, have 10 of these guys standing outside the bar freezing, drunk and pissed that they can't smoke inside next to their beers. I don't know about you - but I'm not too sure I wanna be around that.

Last and different note. With all the retarded things he and Guiliani came up with (and since we're so hard up for money), how come none of them thought of jacking up the littering fines and enforcing them???? Uhhh... I think this city could use a little cleaning up, eh?
  7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    What... how... why... where... :confused:
  8. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    :cool: <- normal level of confusion restored...

I somehow read it wrong... I thought it meant a maximum of two people per car, which I found very odd... :oops: