1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NYC

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Mistahbenn, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Mistahbenn

Mistahbenn Supporting Member

May 15, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Easy

Im in NY for the summer... Where would you recommend to hang out for jams, good music to listen to? I saw and met you in Manchester at Bass day 2 or 3 years ago, my ex girlfriend had a big afro. Saw you and Oli the next night at a gig too at that jazzclub..

Good fun.

Benn

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    the 55bar is my spot in NYC.... I hang there all the time. it's on christopher street between 6th and 7th ave's.

I'm not too sure about jam sessions... I haven't been in that scene for a really long time. I think there's still one at small's jazz club which is pretty close to the 55bar. The best thing to do is to pick up a copy of the "village voice" which has all the listings for everything going on in the city, and it's FREE!

Janek

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Jam sessions -
    SMALLS
    FAT CAT
    CLEOPATRA'S NEEDLE
    BLUE NOTE
    MOLDY FIG
    There used to be a nice session in Park Slope at a joint called The Royale, but I'm not sure if that's still happening
    St NICK'S PUB
    LENOX LOUNGE
    SHOWMAN's
    and I think MINTON'S

4. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
  5. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    doesn't barbez have a jam session?
    school of improvised music brooklyn is pretty cool too.

6. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    As well as the jam sessions on Monday night at the Bitter End - the like of Will Lee, as well as Tal Wilkenfield appear regularly, and Billy Joel's sax player runs it.

7. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    doesnt smoke still have on on monday?