Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYE gig in 11 hours, and I get a stomach virus

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Dec 31, 2005.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    :mad: :mad: I was up all night last night, puking and all other lovely bodily functions. I'm feeling almost human this morning, but need to go load a ton of PA gear, setup, and soundcheck in 3 hours. I hope I can pull this off.

The worst part is that my daughter has come down with the same thing, so my wife will have to stay home tonight instead of coming to the gig.

2. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Tuff it up...son take one for the team...sorry just kidding that sucks hope you all feel better soon....you could always place a trash can or bucket off the stage close to your rig...if you were a punk band the crowd would love it :p Good luck...at least you have a gig...my bands at home tonight and i'm playing games at my brothers house with the family and kids.

3. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I'm feeling slightly more human now, I should be able to suck it up. We got set up and soundchecked from 2:00 to 4:00 and everything went really smoothly. If I can manage to keep holding down the gatorade and toast, I should be alright.

4. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well how did it go? did you try the bucket trick? or better yet did you use it?...hope the family is feeling better.

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    The gig went off OK overall. No further gastrointestinal outbursts. I was REALLY weak physically and was definitely not at my best. I drank water and ginger ale all night long and couldn't stay hydrated, the bar was pretty warm and I was sweating all night too.

The band was a little less than prepared too, which we all noticed after the first set. Luckily nobody in the audience noticed the small flubs, and we got great feedback on how we sounded. Certainly not one of our best performances, but we pulled it off without a major catastrophe.