1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NYE- Not what I was expecting.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Paulabass, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I guess I didn't hear, or wasn't listening when BL told me about NYE.
    Big old log house, we were set up in front of a giant aquarium.
    Everything supplied, and set up when we got there. Looked like music store rentals, but somebody knew how to set up. I got an OK Peavey combo that was fine for the room, and we got a nice little EV p.a. enough mics etc.
    I play in two house bands, same BL. I was expecting to play classic rock- had my pedal board etc. I guess I didn't hear about- We were going to be playing standards, lounge, and show tunes. Seven pc. Bass, drums, guitar, alto and tenor sax, piano, harmonica. VERY COOL.
    I love playing with this piano player cause he knows I listen, and he gives me this little look that says- We're heading outside the box here- follow me. Chord voicings I've never heard before.
    We milked Gershwin, Rogers and Hammerstien, Berlin etc. Threw in some Willie, and Patsy, some obscure blues- No set list, just call 'em as the mood hits.
    The crowd loved it.
    Jazz is not my forte, but standards are fun and easy.
    Offhand compliment from the BL- Woman was talking to me and asked how much rehearsal we do. I said- None. BL overhears and says 'Yeah, cause Paula knows what the **** she's doing'.
    Happy New Year y'all!

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Glad to hear it all went so well...but the big question is which bass did you go with?

nixdad likes this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Went with the white Brubaker. Didn't even bring a spare. It was 22 below (C.) out packing my car, so I really didn't feel like lugging much gear.

McG, Sore Thumb, Oddly and 2 others like this.
  4. Nice. I actually fell asleep early last night so I didn't even see the ball drop.