Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nylon Contrabass! (= Nylon ABG)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Aug 17, 2004.

1. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I was shown a Esteve 1PS75 4-string Nylon Contrabass at a music store today (http://www.fernandezmusic.com/Contrabass.html). Wow, I was really blown away of the deep and loud acoustic tone. The classic guitar shaped body is a lot bigger than e.g. the Dean Performer's body (the store had that one too) and the fretboard was made from ebony w/ jumbo frets. The odd thing was the nylon strings, but they sounded great and was a breath to play.

Has anyone else tried this "Nylon Contrabass"?

/MrBaloo

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Never tried one but the text is correct, Fado players used it a lot, its been losing a bit of ground to upright bass, which is now "in" with some artists of this style, I believe the bass player for Madredeus could use one too.

3. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I've tried a similar instrument but I'm not really sure it was an Esteve. I really dug it and one day I would like to get one. I also tried a cheaper one (again I don't recall the brand) in Barcelona, Spain, but it was inferior. Even visually you could tell that the frets were placed wrong!

4. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I don't think I ever will buy one, but I would say it was very interesting (and good) moment of playing an instrument I didn't know excisted. I'm happy with my ABG though it's not the most well built instrument in the world. It fulfils all my present needs.

/MrBaloo

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hallo Baloo, where did you see that thing?

6. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I saw this cool bass at the the music store "Gottfrid Johansson Musikinstrumenthandel AB" located down in the subway station "Hötorget" in Stockholm (at the corner of Kungsgatan and Sveavägen). Maybe "Gitarren" in Göteborg has that ABG too.

/MrBaloo