nylon string of similar size to steel?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by catwood, Apr 30, 2002.

1. catwood

Apr 26, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    From what I understand, gut and eurosonics are way big compared to steel. I really dig my spirocores (med. tension). I just get worn out though when I start slapping several songs during a gig. I was wondering if any of the nylons out there were of similar diameter to spirocores, 'cause I know I'll eventually want to go back to them. I don't want to be recutting the nut or shaving the bridge, etc. Will I just have to live with the pain?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Obligatos have a stranded nylon core with flat metal outer wrap, and the Dominants too.
    They're about the same gauge as regular steel strings.

On the other hand, Innovations and Sensicores are thicker.

3. The Innovation Rockabilly set although fairly expensive would meet your needs,I didn`t have to file my nut to fit them,just don`t expect them to sound like Spirocores!
    Another slightly cheaper alternative would be Rotosound Superbs,as with the Innovations they are only just a bit thicker than steel but have a wrapped E & A I believe(I only used the D&G)Innovations look all the same,black wrap but I am not sure of the actual construction.
  4. catwood

Apr 26, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Thanks for your input. I'm not sure how good the Obligatos would be for slapping. But those Innovations seem like something I should check out. I know I'll be losing some sustain, and bowing will be impossible, but I've been interested in getting that rockabilly sound w/o dying of fatigue. If the diameter is close enough, I like the idea of being able to switch strings for different gigs without any hassle.
  5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Labella makes a black tapewound string that isn't that thick. It slaps decent. (But you can't beat the full slap-tone of gut.) When I used to slap steel, I would pull the string around high "b" on the G string, rather than high "d" or high "e". It made for a fuller tone, and less strain on my right hand. Getting a finger underneath there can be challenging, though.