Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nylon strings...classical style

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ii7-V7, Jan 22, 2006.

1. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Is there any place to buy or order classical guitar style nylon strings that can be used on an acoustic bass? Does anyone know if they make strings this size? What about mariachi bass strings?

2. sorry i cant help, but if you want nylon wound strings for an electric (and yes, they are a dream on the hands, and sound great) you can get flatwound nylons.. i have a set, and ive found no problems... i cant remember what brand though

3. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Do they have a metal core or do you need a piezo?

4. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm talking about acoustic only strings that are exactly like classical nylon strings, but in diameters for bass.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Thomastic-Infeld Acousticores are bronze wound nylon core strings and feel like the wound bass strings on a classical guitar set. Classical-style guitar was my first instrument and it was instant recognition when i first played a Turner stung with Acousticores.

If you are looking for plain nylon or guts then you are probably going to have to adapt a very light URB set.

6. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    I use 8x fishing line for some high strings. Be creative and look outside the music industry.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Right on! Like weed-wacker strings. Classical, smassical.

8. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    If you need classical style (nylon wound with bronze without ball ends), try LaBella. Matt Umanov guitars in NYC sells the la bella acoustic basses and stock the strings.