Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nylon strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cpt_Llama, May 6, 2001.

1. right now i am using Roundwouns, and i am thiking of trying some nylon strings, should i re-intonate when/if i switch to nylon?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I hope you don't think of your amp as "useful".

Maybe you're thinking of tapewound?

BTW, ALWAYS reintonate after a string change, even if it's the same brand, same type, and same guage. Always reintonate.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What Angus means, is that if you have strings that are pure nylon, which are available for classical guitars and whatnot, you will get no signal, because bass pickups are magnetic and need the metal strings to produce a sound.

If you mean nylon tapewound, which have a metal core on the inside but nylon on the outside, those work great, even though you no longer have a ground. I have them on my bass right now. And yes, you should reintonate.

4. does anybody make these strings for a headless bass

5. I didn't realise that there were any plain old just nylon strings, the ones with the metal core are the ones i am thinking about, thnx guys

6. The Navigator

The Navigator

May 17, 2001
    Tucson, AZ
    I have a bromberg B-quad bass designed to be used with nylon strings. (it uses piezo pickups in the bridge so you don't need the metal core) It sounds great.

actually I'm selling that bass right now, so I'll have to keep 'em on my acoustic.

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    the Thomastik ABG nylon core strings sound really good with the Lightwave system.