Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nylon strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tronictq, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Is there such a hting as nylon bass strings? Or some weird material such as?? If so, would they benefit a jazz sound? How much $$??

-T

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fender makes 'em, check there. Ya might wanna try juststrings.com too.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Thomastik-Infeld AB344 Acousticores :D --
    http://www.thomastik-infeld.net/joh...e=Guitar&ID_Setfamilie=19&ID_SetfamilieSub=37.
    Phosphor-Bronze roundwound on a nylon CORE.
    I think Mr. Steve (Lawson) uses `em as well - on a
    Rick Turner Renaissance.

Like's been said, VERY low tension and won't work
    with magnetic pups. But the tones! :eek:

That Fender set is the 7120 (IIRC). The string's WRAP is
    a slightly burnished/ground, round nylon material.

Ah believe those wacky Ashbory strings are silicon rubber :)

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    ...and won't work on anything but an Ashbory! Settle for nothing less!!! :D

-robert

5. Actually, LaBella makes a set that does work on magnetic pups. They have a metal core, and they are wound in nylon, so the pups can still pick them up. I have a set on my fretless, and they have a real deep tone, that is awesome for jazz and the fretless. They are also incredibly smooth, so they are really good for quick slides, and vibratos.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

I second that. LaBella Black Nylon Tapewounds are awesome strings. They feel like flats...but still have alot of clarity. They are actually roundwound strings with a black nylon tape wrap. (Don't worry though...it's not really tape and it won't come off...LOL).

I used to be a roundwound fanatic for over 20 years and I am so glad to be back on these "flatwounds". Sooooo smooth. I have a Peavey Cirrus with a tung oil neck and together with the LaBella BNT's, everything is so smooth and effortless to play now.

Awesome tone...and the D and G strings play out much more of a fundamenetal note due to the heavier gauge (yet they don't feel very stiff, tension-wise).