Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nylon Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dave44, May 21, 2002.

1. I own a 64 Hofner and I once played a Hof. with nylon strings on it, they have a metal core. I have been looking for years for these elusive strings and have yet to find them. Was this just a dream I had or were these strings once available? Some one once said that Fender made these type of strings true or false? Would appreciate any direction in which to turn and seek.

Thanx Mo.

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Nylon tapewounds maybe? A bunch of companies make those,
    e.g.; LaBella 760N, Rotosound RS88, GHS 3060, Fender 9120.

Or the Fender 7120 set?...
    I'm guessin' the nylon tapewounds since the 7120's appear to only
    come in long-scale, and Hofners are short scale (30"), ain't they? :p

If that's the case, then I think the Rotosound RS88S set should work.
    "S" for short scale. I don't believe any of those other companies make
    a short scale tapewound set. Just Strings has `em AND they ship to
    Canada :).

3. Thanx big time notduane, you wouldn't believe the amount of what the %^&* kind of looks I got from the counter people when I make a request for nylon strings. Yes The Hof is a short scale guitar. I shall order the strings and let you know how they work out. Thanx again Bro.

Dave

4. My recomendation is not to buy those Rotosound strings. I tried them, and took them off after one gig. I instantly noticed my sound wasn't cutting thru, as did the musicians I was playing with. They also have some horrible overtones or something. Sometimes when I plucked one of the strings, it was like I was hearing more than one string, and it sounded out of tune, even when I was in tune.

The strings that I have now, and used before I tried the Rotosounds was the La Bella Nylon tape wounds. I highly recomend them. They have a great warm, punchy sound that cuts through a band really well.