1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nylon tapewounds - B string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by malibu, Dec 20, 2002.

1. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    I really like the Fender 7120s which I tried on a whim when I was visiting San Diego and got a pack cheap at Blue Guitar.
    if they made a 5-string set for the 7120 or a 9120 I'd try to stay with the Fender black tapes, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

so . . . LaBella 760N5 vs. the GHS 3060 or Rotosound RS88 nylon tapewound B strings -- ( or any others ? )
    -- has anyone tried any of these five string sets and if so how do you like the B string ?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Not sure this'll help, but I've tried both La Bella and Roto 4-string sets, and the Rotos are much thuddier and darker sounding. More URB-ish to my ear, while the La Bellas are brighter and cleaner sounding. I would think this would carry over to the B-strings as well, but I can't verify that from personal experience.

3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    sure, it helps -- thanks !

since I'm gonna be in San Antonio over Christmas (last time was for Aerosmith / Stone Temple Pilots in late Oct.) I'm motivated to find any of the 5-string set of tapes somewhere -- probably whatever I can find -- so if I get confronted with a choice I'll take all the info I can get

4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I've never tried the Rotos, but I've had the LaBellas on one of my 5-strings for a long time, and the B sounds good. The LaBellas have been my main strings for a few years now, but I'm getting the urge to try something else. Sometimes the LaBellas seem a little twangy to me.