nylon tapewounds - B string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by malibu, Dec 20, 2002.

1. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    I really like the Fender 7120s which I tried on a whim when I was visiting San Diego and got a pack cheap at Blue Guitar.
    if they made a 5-string set for the 7120 or a 9120 I'd try to stay with the Fender black tapes, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

so . . . Labella 760N5 vs. the GHS 3060 or Rotosound RS88 nylon tapewound B strings -- ( or any others ? )
    -- has anyone tried any of these five string sets and if so how do you like the B string ?
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Not sure this'll help, but I've tried both La Bella and Roto 4-string sets, and the Rotos are much thuddier and darker sounding. More URB-ish to my ear, while the La Bellas are brighter and cleaner sounding. I would think this would carry over to the B-strings as well, but I can't verify that from personal experience.
  3. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    sure, it helps -- thanks !

since I'm gonna be in San Antonio over Christmas (last time was for Aerosmith / Stone Temple Pilots in late Oct.) I'm motivated to find any of the 5-string set of tapes somewhere -- probably whatever I can find -- so if I get confronted with a choice I'll take all the info I can get
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've never tried the Rotos, but I've had the LaBellas on one of my 5-strings for a long time, and the B sounds good. The LaBellas have been my main strings for a few years now, but I'm getting the urge to try something else. Sometimes the LaBellas seem a little twangy to me.