1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nylon Tapewounds on an ABG

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chjohnst, Nov 10, 2010.

1. chjohnst

chjohnst

Nov 24, 2008
    I am getting kinda sick of the brittle, twangy, clanky tone from my ABG that I use for acoustic jams and practice. I was looking at a set of nylon tapewounds that a friends run on a bass that has a semi-hollow body (fretless though) and I liked the warm and fat sound he gets. I usually play my acoustic unplugged so I was curious on these would sound. Fender has a set for 20 bucks (free shipping) that I was willing to try out. Curious on feedback.

2. Been there. Done That.
    I have used both the Fenders and the LaBellas tapes. Both are great. The Fenders are very low tension basses, and may take some getting used to. I would recommend either set.
    I now use GHS Precision Flats. They give a little more definition than the tapes I have used.
    One word of warning: If your bridge uses the pins to secure the strings in, then you have no problem. If the strings are fed through the end of the bridge instead, the tapes stand a very good chance of being too thick to feed through the bridge.

3. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
    I have a Status Black Nylon (40-60-80-100) set on my ABG. I really love the thump I get. These strings give a double bass vibe to the ABG. They are also the loudest set I've experienced yet. (Before Elixir Nanowebs, then TI Acousticores...) I know that most people love Labella Tapewounds but they are way too thick. I couldn't dare to put them on my delicate Furch.
    IMO the Nanowebs were pointless for my tone goals (too twangy), the Acousticores were wonderful but really really low tension and low volume they have... Only issue about the Status Black Nylons: maybe it's just me, but the G string sounds different than the others. It's brighter.

4. chjohnst

chjohnst

Nov 24, 2008
    The bridge uses the pins, and the bass is fretted, Fender Kingman Bass. The GHS precision flats those are all ss core and wrapped right? not tapewound?

I don't play with a pick, purely finger style with a heavy hand so the current nickel wound strings that are on the bass now get way too clanky. Does the tapewound prevent the "clank" but also have a nice mid focused and fat bass tone? Thinking something like an upright bass here.

5. Yeah, GHS Precision Flats are stainless steel wrapped. I did receive a new GHS Tapewounds set for mine. These have got to be my favorite tapewounds I have ever used. They should work well on yours. Try them out. I've already done some recording with them and they are really full sounding, and actually have decent highs for a tapewound set.

6. chjohnst

chjohnst

Nov 24, 2008
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    +1
    These strings are great.

8. Yes, chjohnst, that's them. They sit in between the LaBellas and Fender sets in tension. Quite nice.

9. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I am another Status tape user. Great warm tone that you can make thumpy if you want. Tension is very similar to stock strings so I really did not need any adjustments. The set has been going and sounding good for two years.

10. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
  11. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Did you say that don't plug in? You will get a much more natural acoustic tone with these strings, and loose a good deal of the clanky-clank, but you may lose acoustic volume too.