1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nylon wound flats on a gretsch junior jet 2202?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazz754, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Jazz754

Jazz754

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm thinking about picking up a Gretsch junior jet 2202. It would be my first bass. I'm normally a guitar player, and have small hands.
    Is it possible to put a set of nylon wound flats on it? Thoughts? Also, any thoughts on the bass would be appreciated as well.
    Thanks

2. I've never owned one, but the Junior Jet series of basses I have played in stores are full of tone and well made, especially considering their price. I play mainly short scales these days and that bass is on my radar.

D'Addario and Rotosound currently sell tapes for short scale basses. I've never used either set but they do have some good reviews. The bass fits (at least from some of the reviews I've read) in a Strat gig bag easily, by the way.

Tapewounds are interesting sounding strings. They are usually mid to low tensioned. Thier highs are not as muted as flats, and since they are wound with tape, they are long lasting. Some are flats and some are rounds. Most are smooth to the touch and easy on the fingers and fretboards.

3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    They will work fine on that bass.

I suggest you try the D'Addario tapes. The gauges are smaller than the Rotos, and you will be less likely to run into trouble with the nut.

Those basses are great. Fat sound, easy to play, and cool looking.

4. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I had a Gretsch Jet Electromatic once strung with Fender Tapes and in retrospect, I bought it because of the strings which were then new to me. Good combo. I sold it to go consistently long scale.

If I were buying one bass and it was short scale it would be a DanElectro Longhorn '58 reissue. Light, cheap, holds its value and sounds great with tapes or flats! old Skool!

5. ih8law

ih8law

Aug 8, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Someone posted a nearly identical question the other day in the Basses section. The short answer is: Yes.

I just put D'Addario nylon tapewound strings on my Gretsch G2220 and it sounds great! This bass is very similar to the G2202 in that they are both short scale and have tbe same body style. Go forth, young man, and string up your bass with some nylon tapewounds right now.

G2220NylonStrings.

Here's an audio sample: http://youtu.be/9boHZpSF5HQ

6. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    I had an epiphone rivoli w/ NOS gretsch tape wounds. Kinda like the rotosounds, they'd whistle as you slid your fingers along them. But I will say, still having those old strings (they were in the bottom of a drawer at a music store, the paper envelopes were so brittle, they were flaking in yer hand)...best set I've used: compared to rotosounds-close, to dadario-not even close, to The fender tapewounds...felt like they melted plastic over roundwounds..kinda the worst of both worlds...

As for the lil jet...nothing to write home from camp about, but a decent modern short scale, for a low price.

7. OrvCraig

OrvCraig

Oct 28, 2011
    Love my G2202!

8. The D'addario shortscale tapewounds sound good, but they are pretty low tension in standard EADG tuning. I have to use a softer attack, especially on the E string to keep it from rattling on the fretboard. I guess I could just raise the strings but I like the speed I can get with a low action.

I have a 2202, and it will fit in a Strat gig bag, but just barely. It's tight enough that the tuners will move a bit when you zip it up. Not a biggie, and preferable to hauling around a full-size 34" case. You just have to do a quick re-tune when you pull it out of the bag.

I believe the 2202 has been discontinued. I think it has been replaced with the 2214. Might find a NOS 2202 somewhere, but most likely you'll be looking at a used one.

9. I never used nylon bass strings before but do they have a metal core? I asked this becuz nylon strings (just itself) can't really work with magnetic pickups, do they really?

10. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Yes they have a metal core.

I think they are really nice on
    short scale basses,

IMG_0775.

2-13-6.

They are my favorite short scale
    strings,

Tabdog

11. Thanks Tabdog, that made alot of sense..