1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nylon wound strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheApostlePaul, Dec 21, 2006.

1. TheApostlePaul

TheApostlePaul

Dec 20, 2006
    What are the benefits besides tone? Do they require less pressure to fret a note? Do they work with fretted basses or only fretless?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've never used them on a fretted, but I don't see why you couldn't.

They are very smooth, and very fast strings. However, there is some sort of a friction coefficient that will give you a rug rash on your finger if you get carried away with fast slides.

I don't play anything other than tape wounds on my fretless.

3. idimitry

idimitry

Dec 25, 2006
    Moscow
    Playing a custom acoustic bass with nylon core - this gives some more chance to sound rich as double bass. But without any chance to use a pickup other than piezo or microphone. Nevertheless, my instrument sounds rich and loud enough to require pickup only for large halls with pourer acoustic where every other acoustic instrument should be picked up anyway - and exactly with nylon-core (Thomastik Infeld) strings.