Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nylon wrapped strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by D'yer Mak'er, Dec 29, 2004.

1. I recently was on musiciansfriend.com and I came across some strings made by Fender, they are flatwound strings wrapped in nylon! They seem pretty neat, but I don't know how useful they can be. Apparently they get rid of the metallic sound and last for a very long time...anyone know anything about them? I'm thinking of trying them out but I want to be careful...also does anyone know if a set of 5 is available? The set I saw was 4 but I have a 5 string.

Thanks!

2. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    LaBella, GHS, Rotosound, Fender...who have I missed?...make nylon tapewound strings. Do a search. They have been discussed at length. They all sound a little different from each other. I know LaBella make both a long and extra-long set for 5 string. Look for the extra-longs at Carvin's website for the best price.

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    On my Carvin 5 string fretless and they totally woke this bass up. It had rounds on it previously and I just didn't care for them. The tapewound are great, super smooth on the fingers and fretboard and are dead silent when it comes to slidding. No finger noise.

4. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I like the LaBella tapewounds better than the Fender tapewounds. They sound a little warmer and feel much smoother.

5. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    wow! those would sound awesome as my c & f strings. i need something to smooth and fatten them up. do they make guitar strings like that?

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    F string? :eyebrow:

7. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    BEADGCF.

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Oh i see :)