Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nymans=Carlsons

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Davidoc, Apr 7, 2004.

1. I purchased a bass today, and the guy through in a container of nyman's rosin. He mentioned that it's the same thing as carlson's (what I use). The container is bigger, but other than that it looks to be the exact same-light blue container, wiht a tin of dark colored, inward-bubbled rosin that looks exactly like Carlson's. They're both also made in Sweden.

Weirness!

2. close enought to be brothers maybe, but not exactly the same. i think that the carlsons is harder and grippier (its also owned by meisel of france). the nymans seems lighter and smoother. i prefer the nymans because i use light gage strings and a light bow (if i want to be loud, i'll use an amp). but this is just how i feel about them. how "good" a rosin is is purely subjective (how else could pops stay in business)....

-keiran

3. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    While I agree with some of your statement describing the nature of the two, both brands are actually made by the same Swedish company, TONAG ARNE BETZHOLTZ.

4. I'm not sure how people can say carlson and nymans are the same, or even very similar. Nymans is quite a bit harder, and kind of more sticky to the touch. Carlson is soft, and gets stucky when its warm. Carlson will melt and leave a gooey mess in your bag, while nymans usually won't unless it's super hot out. I, as well as a bunch of other orchestra players I know like to use carlson most of the year, and switch to nymans in the summer months. I find it just too hard in the winter. I do sometimes like to use the nymans for solo or chamber work though, because it seems to give a little bit quicker response and it doesn't get gritty like the carlson can sometimes. Carlson just plain rules for the orchestra though; it's like putting R rated tires on your sports car and going for a drive on a hot day. :smug:

5. I've been equally happy with both, and I cannot say I noticed any difference. As for the hardness of Nyman's, I find that under the stage lights, it's as soft as needed whatever the season.
    One thing I do, at the suggestion of Linda McKnight, my arco teacher, is keep the rosin in the container, capped, at all times. A suggestion from Linda McKnight is like a suggestion from Tony Soprano, so I do it. It helps.