Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NYT MINI-HUMBUCKER REPLACEMENT?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by georgiagoodie, Feb 20, 2013.

1. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I have an Epi Allen Woody, and would like to find some replacement pups with gold covers. Does anyone make one that is reasonable? (Not Lollar...$200 EACH!).
    If I can't find any, then maybe some replacement gold covers, as the ones on it are not so nice looking (up against the gold Supertone bridge and the gold Ultralites...).

[​IMG]

2. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
  3. georgiagoodie

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    'Decided to go with a TV Jones Thunder'Tron in the neck and a TV Jones Thunder'Mag for the "bridge". 'Prolly some routing in my future...
    'Will post photos/review after I get them installed....

4. I'd like to see it and know what you think of the tone once you're done!

5. georgiagoodie

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Sure thing Stompin Tom.
    TV Jones is making the Thunder'Mag now, so it will be a little while before I can get them in the AW....., but I will post photos and review....

6. Sorry for the little highjack, but this thread seems to fit my question well, so I post it right here.

I am also looking for a replacement for the pickups on my Rumblecat. I would like the middle to have more bite and charakter and the neck to sound more "woody". The ones on it seem to be both the same, probably a bridge pickup from the EB 3.

Which possibilties are out there? I'd go with single coils too.

7. alienstarguest

alienstarguest

May 30, 2009
    I see that this is a rather old thread, but wanted to resurrect some thoughts and maybe get some feedback.

Doesn't it seem like there is a rather unjustified propensity to change pickups on new instruments. Some folks are already changing out the pickups even before the instrument arrives. There are certainly cases where a pickup change is justified given the cheap electronics on some new guitars and basses.

I later found after years of having many new instruments under my belt and testing/switching pickups, that more often than not, the original pups were actually the right call. While there is always likely a better sounding pickup out there, it's not so likely that you will find it. How many players have the time and resources to try all options.

Any thoughts on the topic?

Also, more in line with the original post, has anyone found a definitive pup for the Allen Woody Epi?

Also, what does NYT stand for? Are they desirable pups in general or are they considered junk?

Thanks.