1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NYXL on Ibanez BTB- Dead B after 3 days???? Did I do something?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by vindibona1, Apr 29, 2018.

1. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I put a set of NYXL 45-130's on my Ibanez BTB675. It had been happily playing with DR Pure Blues strings, but I needed to move the DR's to my Yamaha TRBX605 to see if those would improve the sound over the stock D'Addarios (and they did). I was talked into trying the NYXL's on my Ibanez. And for the most part they sound good... Except last night as I'm tuning before practice, going from string 1 to 5 I hear ping, ping, ping ping, thud. ***? I know that a low B has difficulty having any character that low, but I didn't have this issue with the original crappy old D'Addarios or the DR PB's or even the temporary strings that came off the Yamaha.

Could I have done something to make the string go dead after two days? Did they need to be crimped like the DR's before cutting and winding? I don't understand what happened.

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    That BTB675 of yours has Mono Rail II bridges, which IME are best used with taperwound low B strings. So, I suggest getting the NYXL 130T taperwound single to replace that already thudded string.

Note that you need to raise the saddle a tad when installing taperwound string.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015

Thanks. Can you explain what taperwounds are exactly? I've heard of them and don't want to presume to know what they are by the name. Obviously there is a taper somewhere, but I'm not sure how they are constructed differently.

4. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I recall that SR and BTB string bass use elixir nano as stock string before they change to EXL.
    The B string is tapered ,sound clear and balance with others string.

Maybe you should try elixir.

5. DM-TF0gOxcCKvZCmd0Kn5WKvL3VzQNr5eBM5pr3lzhoOqHFKdhSJbTFJ4PKCMUpBre1_s65Yi7gqVJFvYBg=w640-h480-no.

6. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I see.. So the thickest part of the string ends before reaching the bridge saddle. Thanks.

Based on my experience with Elixirs on acoustics I'm not a particular fan, particularly as they are significantly more expensive for a relatively inexpensive process that may or may not extend string life. They may be worth a try at some point, but right now they aren't on my radar. But thanks for the suggestion.

7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    This is exactly...

Mine is the BTB685SC, which is like a generation after OP's BTB675. It came stock with Elixir Nickel Nanoweb which had a taperwound low-B string.

For replacements, I opted for stainless steel strings to brighten up the rather dark sounding stock Bartolini BH1 pickups, thus I bought D'Addario Flex Steels 4 string set with an additional single string for the low-B so I could get taperwound low-B string, as opposed to non-taper one if I had bought the low-B in the set of 5.

8. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I think that's the way I'm going to have to go from now on. A 4 set and a single.

9. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    UPDATE:

D'Addario sent me two new bass B strings, one tapered and one regular. I've got the tapered one on there now and boy does it have ping and sustain. It rings forever. Maybe a hair brighter than the others at this moment but it's minutes old compared to a week+ for the other strings. Intonating is really challenging on the low B. Even my Korg Pitchblack or Korg CA40 has trouble finding a stable pitch. The Pitchblack sort of hunts for a pitch and struggles. The CA40's needle just kind of meanders around the B depending on how long the string rings. I sort of had to use the tuners to get close and then fine tune by ear [yeah, I know it should be the other way around, but I think I have good ears].

10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    challenging to intonate or to tune? Seems you were talking about tuning.

Don't know how long have you owned a bass with low-B... IME (of using a bass with low-B since 25+ years ago), it's way easier to use 12th fret harmonic to tune low-B string (as oppose to open string tuning).

11. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Yeah, I know about the 12 fret harmonic. It's about the only way to truly get the tuners to see that low B quickly. The tapered B had a lot of overtones and that made it a bit of a challenge to get the intonation nailed down. I think I finally got it, but not as easily as other strings, guitars or basses.

In another thread the question was posed as the best tuner for bass and a couple of folk unequivocally answered "Pitchblack". I dunno... My Pitchblack is a little slow identifying the notes. My CA40 is way ahead of it and more straight forward. Maybe I'm not using correctly for bass.

12. I once had a chance to use a friend's Pitchblack. The worst tuner I had ever used; very finicky and unstable. No thanks. I'll stick with my trusted Boss TU3.

Linnin likes this.
  13. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I've used a TU3 for so long I've forgotten how long. I just got a new D'Addario pedal tuner that I like better.
    daddario-pedal-tuner-effekt-front-teaser-768x424.

michael_t likes this.
  14. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I hear you guys on your favorite tuners. The low B is the only one that is a bit difficult to get the tuners to read. Harmonics usually gets the job done. But what seems to work pretty well are my two tuners working in tandem. I like the needle like you guys have on the TU3 but the strobe provides confirmation and also gives me a mute switch which I can use instead of volume roll-off when not playing.

BTW... Now that the tapered B has been on a couple days, it was the right call. Thanks to whomever suggested it. Now the timbres match across the bass and I'm actually getting tone on the B string instead of pseudo-pitches. Also I'm now aware of "witness points" and making sure to get my strings settled in properly on all my guitars and basses. Also thank you.

tuners_in_tandem.

15. I don't know which "TU3" you're talking about, but mine is heck of a lot more accurate than your "dual-tuner" setup. (I've used both, though individually and not together.) I can simply step on it to mute my bass as well.

That being said, I will be putting my TU3 to the test later this week as I will be acquiring my first 5-string bass. ;)

16. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    I'll be interested to know how well it does with that low B.

17. Sure, I'll report back.

18. Just a follow-up...

I just tuned my new Yamaha TRBX505 using the BOSS TU3, and it worked just fine as it was able to pick up on the open low B just as quickly and surely as the other four.

19. vindibona1

vindibona1

Apr 18, 2015
    Great. So how do you like the bass?

20. So far, so good. Looks and feels like a well-designed and well-built bass for the money. Considering this is my first 5-string bass, I'm surprised how comfortable it feels to play on already.

z5_utWMe3Dxt5nf7dtHipWvGKBwcd6NMRags5L8cJO9pGis80T1I93IaUXynLBBghK0dAxr4PAexZKi00qs=w363-h644-no.