Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Anyone here like the band OAR? Or even heard of them? Just curious. A friend of mine got me into these guys a while ago and I had the pleasure of seeing them live a few weeks ago. Awesome band, kinda like funky reggae/rock. Similar to Sublime but much better IMO, and with a saxophone. Great chill out music, and they do a GREAT cover of Bob Marley's "Stir it Up" on their live album and they even get to play it with Junior Marvin (of Bob Marley's band).
    If anyone is going to buy/download some of their stuff, get the live album "Any Time Now". Everything on it is infinitely better then their original version.

All other jam band discussion welcome here. Anyone like Widespread Panic? Dispatch?
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have their live CD. Very cool stuff. I have been into them for over a year now. Benj does some pretty cool bass work as well. :)
  3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I have some of their stuff. Very cool.
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I love me some jambands :bassist: (although the term is being thrown around way too much lately) but I never got into OAR or Widespread (Schools is great, but the vocals kill it for me) or Dispatch.

IMO too many rock/pop bands are trying way too hard to 'jam' and be accepted by the 'jamband community'.

5. You don't like Panic's vocals? That's what first got me to listen to them! They sound like an old-school southern rock band like Skynyrd or something. Great band too, some really kickass basslines.
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I guess I'm just not a big fan of southern rock - although I dig the Mule in small doses, go figure. SCI never floated my boat either, too folky and just plain...cheesy, haha. The hula hoopers were cool for about 1 day. Anybody listen to The Slip? These guys get no respect and they rule. Their old stuff is great although they've gone more 'poppy' lately. Amazing musicians - check out Marc Friedman's slippery fretless work, he's definitely into Jaco.
  7. Anyone like Dispatch? I'm listening to their live double album right now, a song called "Carry You". It's incredible, just a beautiful slow song with some excellent and very tasteful guitar playing. Check them out if you can.
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig them for a pop band.
  9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

A friend of mine turned me on to some live Slip sides. Great stuff, you could hear a definite Metheny influence in some of it as well. Those guys and Garaj Mahal are prolly my favorite "jambands". Not too surprising, since I'm an old dog jazz/fusion fan. :cool:

OAR was on the tube last night. They sounded pretty good, but that's not within my perception of what a jam band is. Not that it really matters...
  10. ??? Sorry, but I didn't get that impression at all...unless you're kidding. Dammit, it's too hard to detect sarcasm in writing.
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I wasn't being sarcastic. I don't consider that label a negative one.
  12. glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    I'm a big fan of "jambands". That said OAR isnt a jamband. At least not when you compare them to the definition of jambands i.e. Phish, Grateful Dead, moe. These bands define jamband. I dig OAR, I just dont think theyre a jamband. They play the songs and throw lengthy solos in there. Jambands almost always restructure songs on the spot. Dispatch is the same way. They dont really "jam". They play theyre songs and do a little improv soloing.I love Dispatch and I really wanna grab that DVD but no one around here carries it.