Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

O Fortuna ponderment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For those of you that don't know, O Fortuna is the theme from Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" It's the beginning second movement, I believe, but I haven't had the adjacent movements for some time to be sure.

Having watched Jackass: The Movie at my friends behest, I was reminded of something...

Why is it that nearly any visual, when accompanied by O Fortuna becomes very, very cool?

I know that's horribly scientific, but when you think about it, it's used quite often in trailers and montogue scenes to good effect. I think it's probably the most used piece of classical (or orchestral, I'm not sure how old the piece is) music aside from the many, many movements of Beethovens 9th. In film, anyway. Yet I bet not a lot of people know the name of this piece.

Anyone else share this sentiment? I mean, I know others (and myself) that get huge goosebumps every time it's played.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, it's the jeep of classical music. :p
    Thank God the use if it here in Germany has ebbed away a bit, at least I think, or maybe it's just that I don't hear it anymore because I stopped listening to radio and rarely watch TV anymore. :D