O.M.G. new(old) Ampeg pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NOVAX, Aug 17, 2009.

1. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I just picked up an Ampeg SVT-IIP for $140 US and I am elated
    (no pics sorry) anyway it's going to get retubed, and I was just
    wondering what your favorites are as far as 12AX7
    tubes? I lean toward JJ but I am open to suggestion.

2. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    that is the best preamp that ampeg has ever made IMO... it sounds much closer to a real SVT than anything they put out after that...
    i have seen them go for 3 times that price on the bay... good catch..
    I dont think different tubes make that much of a difference in that pre.. some folks will disagree... just as long as that are not noisy or hissy im usually good.. JJ are fine.. i found them to sound thinner in some pres that i have tried them in.... naybe it was the tube i bought...
    as far as noise i had good results with the 12ax7EH... not only with the ampeg stuff but in some very high end tube gear as well..

3. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    That's what I wanted to hear. Yeah I guess I'll try mixing and matching EH and JJ, maybe some real hot JJ's to avoid that thinness you speak of. I also have a demeter HBP1 so this is great info being that its a single... thanx so much

4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    bumpity anyone?

5. I've got some "hotter" (apparently) JJ 12AX7s in my SVT-II preamp section.

No complaints here :)

6. If you can find some tested-good vintage RCA blackplates or greyplates, your should do very nicely. Those tend to be pretty cheap and have a terrific sound.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021