Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oak

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dougray, Oct 30, 2004.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    why, arent basses made out of..oak wood? it has a nice grain,??
    i always wondered that? or are there basses made out of oak(i have never seen one?)
    ....?

2. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Oak splits, and moves through aging, not a good thing on a bass. Through my research the only way to use oak is if its an old piece 150-200+ year old that has quit moving.

3. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i knew there had to be a reason,its just i see furniture made of oak,

thanx for reply.

4. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    If you insist on oak, just go out and find an old Pennsylvania barn with the old rafters made of oak. Or go out and find some amish that know where some old old oak is at. They will probably help you out, that is, if they are nice amish.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Over here you'd find Edin and Ares instruments, using oak for the necks.

Old oak is exceptionally good, but correctly treated 'young' oak is also good. However, it must be dried in a very particular way, and then left to stabilize over a period of time (relative to the thickness of the plank, as usual).

6. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    body wings on my bass are made from tiger oak. heavy, but sounds great, looks good. the bass is almost 10 years old, and doesn`t seem to have any structural problems :D