1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OB1-500 Wattage FYI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DOOMonkee, Jul 9, 2020.

1. DOOMonkee

DOOMonkee

Jul 9, 2020
    Hello! This is my first post, and its purpose is to answer a question I could not find the answer to, and hopefully help others who have this same question:

The Orange OB1 amps list the total wattage at 500W but do not specify the wattage at which impedance. While it is implied this is 500W at 4ohms, I didn't know for certain what the max wattage was at 8ohms.

Per an email to Orange the response is as follows:
    "Hi Liam,

The OB1-500 will produce 500W @ 4 Ohms and around 350W @ 8 Ohms. A pair of 400W 8 Ohm cabinets will be suitable for your amp. Our OBC112 lightweight cab is rated at 400W and 8 Ohms - in case you want to consider it. :)"

2. DOOMonkee

DOOMonkee

Jul 9, 2020
    To add a little more meat to this thread:

Question:
    Are there any cabs other than Orange that anyone would recommend pairing with the OB1 series?

I saw the Phil Jones 4x5 8ohm cab at 400W that looks awesome for portability and sound, but I was curious if anyone had any opinions on this. Versatility (tonally neutral cabinet) and portability are first, I'll happily get a 4x10 or larger eventually but at the moment space won't warrant that investment. I'm fairly new to this so assume I know nothing, I won't get offended!

3. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    I'm considering the OB1-500 with a pair of OBC-112 cabs.

DOOMonkee likes this.
  4. SidNitzerglobin

SidNitzerglobin

Feb 12, 2019
    fROMOHIO
    I always figured it was 250W @ 8 ohms. Certainly seemed to be putting out less power w/ a single cab at any rate.

I liked the clean side of the one I had through my Eden 210XLT which paired up nicely w/ an OBC115 for a full stack IMO.

DOOMonkee likes this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Is 500W Peak, Program, RMS...Basically, how much faith to you have in the marketing manager that they are sharing the value you want instead of the value they want? There is no legal requirement to qualify that value on nameplate. That's why one brand labels an amp "2,000W" when measured output is just over 700W.

DOOMonkee likes this.
  6. DOOMonkee

DOOMonkee

Jul 9, 2020
    That's what bums me out a bit on the OB1, it's super vague. Some amps and cabs are better than others at rating these things, but I agree, I really wish it was standardized to spell out what that wattage is for cabs and amps.

I wouldn't go on Digikey to purchase a part without reviewing its specs even if it's a cheap resistor or cap, so I wish the music industry was a bit more stringent on these things. I think accepting worst case 350W continuous at 8 ohms is a reasonable assumption, considering it is more likely to be on the best case side than a realistic value.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021