1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OBD (Old Bass Day)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Dec 9, 2017.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    So someone might remember me posting the NBD thread about my new weathered black Ibanez Mikro bass with mahogany body, which I got since I chipped some of the upper fret board of my old Mikro when trying to drill a cavity for an extra far neck position pickup.

Well thing is, after some pondering and playing on my new Mikro, it feels a little different, and not really in a good way, and even though acoustically it appears to have a better more open tone, after all I felt something was missing in the amplified tone of it, which might or might not have to do with me being unable to use the EMG Geezer Butler J pickup I used in my old Mikro, since the cavity for it on the new Mikro was too short, and therefor had to go with the stock one paired with my EMG Geezer Butler P pickup.

Also it had a slight buzz on the high G string, almost over the entire fretboard, which annoyed me slightly.

So to come to the point I decided to see if I could repair my old Mikro, I glued the chipped off part of the fret board back on with some super glue, as it was really only concerning the last 2 frets where the low E string would be, and filled up the unfinished cavity I drilled for the extra pickup with some filler mass, painted it over a couple of times and finished up with some coats of varnish.

Didn't exactly turn out pretty, but it seems to work quite well, and I have my old bass back playing as it used to.

Also removed the Geezer Butler P pickup from my new Mikro and reinstalled it in my old one together with the matching J pickup.

Finally I decided to shim the neck of my old Mikro to allow for lower action, which was a success.

Managed to lower it from about 4mm measured flat on 12th fret to low E to 3mm, actually bringing it slightly below Fender setup standard and made it feel like butter to fret.

So here it is, my old Ibanez Mikro bass, which by the was has a body of basswood in contrary to the new one's mahogany body:
    wgyznle-.

Also strongly consider making this visual mod to it, adding a pickguard and some switches with red rubber tips:
    xji1f8t-.

All in all I am really happy being back home on my old Mikro!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I love super glue! It has saved me more money than any other substance.

3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Yeah, was really lucky it could be saved.

Enjoy playing much more on my old Mikro than the new one, and as said the amplified tone is better, as well as no fret buzz whatsoever despite the now quite low action.

Also the wood used for the neck seems to be of a better quality on the old one, with more straight grain patterns, which is a bit of a gamble with these cheap basses.

Still regret messing it up visually by haphazardly drilling that failed extra pickup cavity and in the process chipping some of the upper fretboard off, but at least after the repair it doesn't seem to have suffered in functionality or tone.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017