Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Obesity in America

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by miko, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is anyone else concerned with the fact that we (Americans) are grossly overweight and have cholesterol levels that are soaring out the roof? That we lead the world in diseases like diabetes and heart conditions; diseases which could be prevented by simple diet and exercise habits?

This is in no way a flame on fatness. I don't have an aversion to fat people like some people I know do, but I really worry about our fate as a nation, given that we are all letting ourselves blob out.

The thing that most perturbs me is the level of childhood obesity I am seeing. Also, increasingly on tv, they are starting to use more images of overweight kids, and positioning it as an ok thing. This really bothers me. I'm not saying overweight kids aren't cute and charming, but they are in danger of becoming overweight adults, and neither scenario is a healthy thing. Whenever people see stuff on tv, it seems to give them an unconscious message, or permission, that it's ok to do the same.

I see this a lot with Latin mothers, who, like my own Latin mom, saw food as love and felt you had to clean every last bit on your plate. I live in a mostly hispanic neighborhood, and a part of me wants to speak up to my fellow Latinos that overeating is not a good thing.

I imagine phys. ed has taken a back seat in schools, as well, which is as disturbing as having music take a back seat. When I was a wee one, we had to exercise one hour a day at school. In high school, we had to run a mile every other day to pass gym. Now it seems as though playing Playstation qualifies as exercise.

I for one am frightened. Obesity has tons of repercussions, social, economic, health and spiritual. It also can lead to depression.

I wish I had a good solution for this. Not sure if the Twinkie tax is the way to go, but surely there must be a better way to incent people to get healthy.

Whaddo you think?

miko
    [guilty of having to lose 10 pounds herself]

2. Pfft. I am the anti obesity. I am 6'6" and I weigh 160 pounds.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea man, america is so goddman fat, wat is it like, 85% of kids under 12 are overweighgt or something. THats ****ed up. I can proudly say i am average, if nnot just under average weight. Im 5'6 , 120 pounds.

4. "yeah! america's fat! i'm not though; i'm perfect!"

anyway; there's a difference between obesity and being overweight. by those height-weight charts you see in a physician's office, it doesn't take much to be over what the average is. but if tons of people (85%? as figjam says) are over it; i guess it isn't average anymore, huh?
    i'm about 6' and i weight around 240 pounds. i'm definitely overweight and fat, but i dunno if i qualify as obese (does anyone know just how overweight you have to be to be considered obese?)

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I agree that this is a very worrying trend.
    Unfortunately it is spreading all over the world. We here in Iceland are starting to see the signs of this ,,epidemic".

Children are put on fast food way too early and do not excercise a fraction of what children used to do.

I´m 27 years old but I remember when I was a kid, there hardly was a day where I wasn´t out playing soccer, basketball or just doing some activity. This seems not to be the case anymore for kids.

It will not be long until most of the larger nations will be dealing with this problem.

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

For some, obesity is a physical ailment. And, I hope that those people can find treatment that leads to a better life.

But there is some truth that the automation of American life that has enabled us to easily obtain things that one used to burn calories to obtain.

Thus exercise is deemed a neccesary daily activity for many. Or, the bulge creeps in.

Someone said to me once: "You can only get fat one molecule at a time".

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, no problems here at all, I'm the lightest and shortest of all my friends at 5'7 and 125...:D

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think new orleans and san antonio battle for first place in the obesity thang

i'm obese by US standards, but i am happy and feel great. my friends and fam don't think i'm fat. i'm not fat, (denial), i'm not fat!!!

:bawl:

obesity is a problem. so is diebetes and high cholesterol (i have that) as well.

btw, i'm 5'10" and 220lbs, but i'm a lot of muscle (my mommie always says i'm big boned!! :D )

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Food for thought:

Americans are "fat-conscious" like no other country, they eat the most non-fat and fat-reduced foods, but they're also the most overweight.

People like the Italians and the French eat lots of fat but are usually much slimmer...

10. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    well, look at how much they eat. I could eat 3 containers of low fat yogurt, and have eaten the same amount of fat as another person, say, aomeone who lives in europe, used to eating less, and they eat a reguar yogurt. Who will gain more weight? Me, because I ate more. super size is the enemy.

I eat healthy stuff all the time. I feel fine, I'm pudgy, like 5'6 ish and 200 pounds, but I AM big boned, so there.

Fat = more mass to hold basses with, improving the tone. :D

11. I'm about 12 Stone, and only about 5'7... what gets me is these cases where the parents let their kids eat fast food all the time, then have the cheek to sue the company for making their kids fat...acting like they didnt know McDonalds food was full of fat and grease!

Although, as a British tourist, I was pretty shocked at the size of some of the folk in Disneyland and in Las Vegas...in Disneyland, there was some people so fat that their legs couldn't support the weight and they had to be pushed round in a wheelchair.

I try and eat healthy, no fast food for me apart from the occasional chippy tea, but it's my 10 a day ciggy habit and general lack of exercise that makes me slightly obese.

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i thought cig's helped keep weight down. that's the excuse i've heard from some folks on why they stay smoking. (honest question there, i have no cig experience).

also, what's a "stone"? that's about 20 lbs, right? about 9 kg?

13. A Stone is about 14 lbs, so I weigh about 168lbs. It a myth to me about ciggies keeping your weight down, I suppose the taste of it (smoking) makes people not want to eat food.

14. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's true though.

Cigarettes kill your sense of taste, when I quit and it came back, my appetite got much better, and I consequently paid more attention to the quality of food (not only the quantity).
    I gained 4 kilos after I quit.

Regarding fat: There are good and bad fats. Olive oil is very good (as in healthy) for example.

15. One thing I notice, even between the US and Canada is the size of restaurant portions. The portions in the US are almost invariably larger. North American society in general is very "super-sized" oriented and I think that rising obesity rates are just one of the effects of that trend.

Nicotine is a stimulant and regular use of it speeds your metabolism up, allowing you to eat more than you could if you didn't smoke without gaining weight. People gain weight when they quit smoking because their metabolism slows down when they take the nicotine out of their bodies. Also, people tend to eat more just after they quit as a coping mechanism.

16. Mark has it. Every time I quit smoking I gain weight. I lose it when I start again.

I am current 1.83 and 80 kg. What is that in archaic? I have forgotten how to translate.

But then I am middle aged, so fatness looks OK.

17. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Yeah, but look at how many Americans have never even heard of trans fat...add that to lack of exercise and overeating; no wonder America is a fat nation.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The "super-sizing" thing I think parallels somewhat with the; "My kids are going to have a better life than I did" psychosis.

I love to treat my kids to things they like. When I was a kid however, those treats were usually hard earned rewards that were fewer and further between.

19. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It also may be that people confuse quality (or value) with quantity. It seems more important to get a large steak for the money, that the quality may be lacking seems to be secondary.
    This is true for other countries too, of course (think Oktoberfest).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.