1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Obligato G + EP Weich EAD?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by polokojo, Sep 29, 2019.

1. polokojo

polokojo

Dec 17, 2004
    Paris
    I'm currently using a full set of Evah Pirazzi Weich on my bass (after playing spirocores for years) and I really like the warmth they brought to my instrument.
    The G string though still feels too much like a steel string under my left hand (and it doesn't sound as warm as the rest of the set).
    I was wondering if an Obligato G would feel a little less stiff and a tad more "gut like" (in a modern, Pirazzi-ish way, of course) while still being a good match with the rest of the EP strings. Or maybe it's not worth the change given the similarity between EP and Obligato? I have never tried Obligato.
    Thank you very much for your help.

2. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    No, Obli G has a bit more tension according to Pirastro`s specs page and it surely is more spiroish with a twangy sustain and growl. Although EP weich is quite warm already you could get some more warmth with Innovation Polychrome or 140B G-strings.
    Or maybe a real gut string? Olive G is an all time favourite metal wrapped gut and Chorda G is a great plain gut with good amount of tension and singing sustain.

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    No but what your experiencing is normal. Give the string a little bit to settle in.

4. polokojo

polokojo

Dec 17, 2004
    Paris
    Thank you for your suggestions. Just a quick update: being very frustrated with the EP G, I ended up trying two different G replacements and here's my impressions :
    The Polychrome G is definitely stiffer than the EP weich DAE. It was a disappointment for me on pizz, although it sounded fantastic when bowed and it looks and feel like a great quality string.
    The Obligato G feels right away more relaxed, bouncier and mellow sounding, all this while having a much more precise vibration than the EP weich and the Polychrome. Coming form years of Spiros and a few months of EP, it's like having best of both worlds, the focus of the spiros and the warmth of the EP. A great string that makes me wanna try the rest of the set, but I'll try to calm down for now since I obtained the desired result.
    At least I got direct experience of the fact that tension and stiffness are two different things, as it has been mentioned many times on this forum.