obligato solo vs. dominant solo E

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Kevinlee, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I'd like some feedback or comparison on the obligato solo vs. dominant solo E string and A string. I'm trying to find a good match for plain gut G & D so I would be using them tuned at orchestra pitch.

Which has a softer, lower tension feel?
    Which has a thicker diameter?
    Which would be considered a better blend with the plain guts?
    Which string seems louder or to project more?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I think you will find the Obligato will roll more than the Dominant. I am a big fan of Thomastik Dominants. I also love the Obligatos. They are quite similar. I think you will find that the Dominants are a bit louder. I think they have a bit more "attack" than the Obligatos as well. You might consider a regular Dominant E. They are fairly thick. I think it would match up nicely with Gut strings.
  3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm considering Dominants with guts as well although I don't really like plain gut on the D and I'm using an Oliv instead - I do have plain gut on the G. I got a new bass and have found very sadly that the Eudoxas on the bottom two strings are not working for me. I'm going to switch to an Oliv A to see if that makes my situation better but that still leaves me in a predicament with the E.

My concern with mixing the Dominants with the gut is how it will be for arco.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Dominants are great for arco. The bassists in the TSO use Dominants I believe.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The Dominant is an excellent Arco string. It is very popular among chellists and violinists, and the bass string has a very sweet tone under the bow. Especially the D and G. The E and A are fine but don't project nearly as well as a more traditionally arco string like a Flexocor.