Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Obligato VS Dominants ??

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Istar, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    After a hard search for the perfect chamber music string for my bass my luthier suggested I try obligatos and in contrast to what I expected my bass responded really well to them. It really opened op and it’s sound became darker and mellower and really gave it the sound I was looking for. I think it really responds well to the lower tension.

So now I finally found the string I like tone wise, now I only have a problem with the playability. D and G and a dream the A is so so but I could learn to live with it, but the E is a disaster. I don’t think I need to explain why since so many threads have been opened about it.

My question now is how do obligato`s compare to dominants or other low tension / synthetic core strings. Both tone wise and playing wise. What will I gain and lose form switching ??

I’m strictly interested in how they act bow wise.

2. I know many folks here (including myself) mix Obli G and D with other brands and/or models of A and E. If you want to keep the Oblis on top, there may be a workable solution there for you. There was a recent thead about Obli/Flat Chrome Steels you might want to check out.

3. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I have tried two types of synthetic core strings (which isn't that many I know) but with both of them I have ended up with the Spirocore Orchestra E on the bottom. Many other people I know have that same E with plenty of other string combos. I think its the best E string in existence. But that's just me.

I'd throw a spiro E on and see if it affected how the A played some in a positive (or negative) way.

Just my .02

4. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 on that - I've tried Obligatos, which didn't work at all well on my bass, and Dominants, both orch. and solo gauge, which were great. In both cases I kept my trusty Spiro orch E, it just can't be beat. :D

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Try Flexocor 92's, with the Stark E and regular gauge for the rest. Even darker than the Obligatos and bow great.

6. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Dominants are incredible strings. I've been using a full set for almost a year now. And that was after Obligatos, which didn't last long.

7. Tbeers,
    I'm really pleased with the tone and low tension of the Obligatos but their wrappings, where they cross the bridge, don't hold up well at all. I know nothing of the Dominants, are they wrapped also? Synthetic core, gut? Is their exterior wrap more durable than the Oligatos? Thanks for any and all advise.
    Jim :confused:

8. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    hehe, i agree. i put a permanent E string on and that only lasted for about two minutes if that...i felt how loose it was and heard the metallic characteristics and i put the flex E right back on.....i'm pretty sure i have found my strings for my bass :D
    i love these flexocor's.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I love the Dominant A and E. Since my E broke, and since I detune it a lot, I decided to keep an "unbreakable" string on the E - a Spiro Stark. Truth told, it's a little too growly for my taste compared to the rest of the Dominants, but it's workable, and for some things, it's great. Still, if the Dominant E was a "cockroach/Keith Richards" string like the Stark, I would prefer to have it on there.

10. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I’ve already tried the flexocors and even nearly switched to them, but on my bass the obligatos just sound better. Maybe it’s the lower tension, I don’t know. But they got this certain something. That’s why I’m looking for a set of strings with that same kinda sound without that rolling E.

I know, I’ve seen and been following that thread myself. I even played flat chrome steel myself before making the switch, and I still have the set here. I might try mixing em, but somehow I don’t think the mix is gonna work, at least not on my bass. What’s keeping me from trying it is the fact that I’d have to take my obli E off seeing I just bought the set I`m hesitant to do that.
    You never did say what E string you use to mix with the obligatos ?

11. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002

i tried that permanent E and it was pretty loose.
    maybe you should try a set of permanents, i'm not sure how they compare to obli's though.....i have read that the perms are pretty warm.

12. daveant

daveant

Feb 17, 2006
    I found the Dominants to be more 'bouncy', that is they tended to produce more board noise on my bass. I think it has to do with how well the board is dressed, and of course, the particular bass.

13. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Hey Istar

I agree with you on almost everything you've said, maybe we have a similar playing style, or bass.

Pirastro makes a string that was recommended to me, the Chromcors.

I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, so I don't know how they will match the obligattos. Apparently they are very stiff (you don't want any roll, I hate that too), normal tension, dark, very ballsy. It might make a good E string for you. I love the Spirocore, but it's a more flexible string.

14. 16fuss

16fuss

Apr 25, 2005
    hi, dr.rod.
    i have a chromcor e.i use obligatos on my new setup rubner busetto (still dominants on the pöllmann).i could check out the blending for you,but i remember it as a very dead string.i think a weich cold match better tensionwise(i got the obligato tensionspecs from pirastro).do you also fell the mittel-e is too strong for the obligato a?? what is your vibrating string length??

15. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    Hey 16fuss, it's nice to see you participating, I hope you're well.

Have you tried the Chromcor yet? (not flat-chromesteel)

what mittel are you talking about? thomastik?

my vibrating string length will be very small once I get my new bass, a ridiculous 101 cm!

sorry about the thread distorsion, I should start a new one