Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Obligatory got new bass post!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Aug 21, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Elrick NJS got here in record time! White truck not the brown one.

Initial impressions. It's far more organic than the photos, which was a
    welcomed surprise. I was expecting a more marbleized "Modulus" finish. I
    still can't figure out how the tree went. It sounds good unplugged in a
    brief try in between doing my real work. It's a pound or two lighter than my
    Cirrus, but I don't think it's the 7 or 8 pounds touted by owners of his
    other styles. Those are the most "jumbo" frets I will have played, all 21 of
    them, and they don't show a lot of evidence of aggressive play, but could
    use a little polishing. Expected little blemishes that come with some play,
    and some little spots of discoloration on the ash, which may be "just the
    wood." A stiff wider neck that the Cirrus, but not too wide to play
    comfortably. Nice feel on the back. My first fingering of the set-in "e"!!
    Tight knobs and switches that appear to work. A nice looking hunk of
    rosewood with some character. Hooray, my first set of Barts and 3-way preamp
    to boot!!! Perfect back side. Heavy duty bridge and my favorite tuners. Some
    life left in the strings.

In sum, this is a Jazz-style bass that looks handmade (not homemade!), and
    not by just by anybody. I read the bio on Elrick and realized last night
    that what I was getting was HANDMADE by that guy and only that guy. As he
    becomes more and more entrenched as the artist that he is, this piece's
    intrinsic value will only rise. So now, all I can do now is plug it in and do the
    A-B. If it sounds good, that will be the key (another review coming).
    :)

2. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    W O W !

:eek:

congratulations!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Please don't be offended, rick. I think the world of Elricks! But the whole J-shape, conservative woods things is boring me to death.

The critical thing is that I'm sure it sounds like no other bass. I would love to have that piece of art!

I'm just being honest and hoping that some of these great luthiers would bust their humps to please us more for the astronomical prices they charge instead of staying in their "comfort zones." (Actually, from what I've seen, Rob Elrick does think more "outside the box" than most when it comes to woods and electronics).

No doubt - that is a bee-yoo-tee-full quilt!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, Rick. That is very nice.:) As soon as you are comfortable with her, post a review!

Have you found a new home for the Cirrus yet?

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    nice bass, man. very cool.

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    No offense. I like the other styles a whole lot too, but this one came along with most of what I wanted. Got to reserve judgment until I plug it in though.

The Elrick bio said that he waited four years with the prototype of this bass so as to not become pigeon-holed as a Fender copycat. This bass is the same one on the Elrick gallery page.

No. I played her last night and was having serious second thoughts about going solo. If it goes, I hope it goes to a fellow worshiper!

7. Rick, I think this statement (perhaps not you yourself) indicates some misconception about what it takes to make these things. My first point would be that basses like these are as close to fully "custom" as we would expect to get anywhere. And, with something this special, it should be expected that the price will be a premium. Sometimes even a BIG premium. There is a LOT of research, pre-fabrication, and attention to detail during building that is required to create a bass like this. Now, if Fender were to try to charge $3000 for an off-the-assembly-line instrument, then your complaint would be more in line. But with all the work required to get this right and the small quantity produced, nearly anything under $5 grand can be justified. My second point is to compare these works of art to other things that would cost similiarly. For instance, you wouldn't think twice about $3000 for new counters and cabinets in your kitchen. Sure there's more wood (most of it in little particles) but where is the precision, the beauty, and the sheer joy of an instrument like this? It would take more than $3000 to recarpet your house and that will be ripped up or worn out in a matter of a few years. No real comparison there. How long would it take a $3-$5k used car to stop depreciating and increase in value and what exactly would be the expected life of such a car these days? And finally, these guys are in business to make money. In relation to their gross they have huge business related expenses that are constantly rising like labor costs for helpers, Social Security taxes, income taxes, self employment taxes, rent, insurance of all kinds, advertising, materials costs, hardware costs, etc, etc. Though I know they won't tell, I bet that most profit margins are in the 30% or less range when all is figured in. Given that they aren't producing thousands of instruments a year, that makes it very difficult to make great inroads to increasing their production to lower costs. And if they DID incorporate more automation in their processes, we wouldn't think nearly as much of their product as we do of the "handmade" quality they offer now. Some of these points, IMO, are why we are seeing a rise in OLP instruments from some of the biggies.

So, in the end, I don't think of any of these prices as being "astronomical" when I take into account what small businessmen have to do just to get the first one out the door. And please don't take my criticism of your statement as anything sinister. I'm not picking a fight - just putting things in perspective.

8. [dfire]knight

[dfire]knight

Mar 30, 2002
    bend, or
    nice!!!! i plan on buying one like it

9. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Why is it lighter in the middle?? I mean the quilted part? Is that just the photo, or is the maple a different color there?

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Excellent question.

The top is two bookend pieces. It appears to be the natural figuration. Strange and guess nice, depending on what you like. I just like that it's a natural finish.

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    "The biggest changes to my basses have been the introduction of new models. I started to offer bolt-on neck basses after being approached by a number of players who preferred bolt-ons, that later led to a less expensive bolt-on model that was more of a basic “no frills in the wood department” type of bass. I also prototyped a Jazz style bass and then decided not to offer for over three years in an effort to avoid being pigeon holed as just another Jazz bass guy."

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    After playing it a little, what I've been missing is a passive setting. This bass sounds extraordinary with active off! Lots of nice active tones, but I will probably settle on one of the midrange settings eventually (three available). I have also really never experienced the Jazz snap and crunch. That stuff's pretty cool. The bass plays smooth and the neck is a little wider making for a little more expenditure of effort from string to string. My only problem will be that the there is a little more wood tugging at my left shoulder, which may prove to cause some of the old problems I had with the Warwick (but no neck dive). This bass is about the same weight as the Cirrus and less form fitting. I'll keep playing and if there is any new earth shattering development, I'll let you know. I'm just not a good enough player to get all that this baby has to give!!;)

13. Wow, that's beautiful! Congrats!

......mutters to self: "grr, I wish people would stop posting pics of bassses like that, it angries up the blood and gets the GAS up to fever pitch!"
    :D

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man I Love Elricks.. I Love mine.. but I really want to get one with a quilted maple top... They sound and play so... so excellently..

I have the Elrick Std. which is the traditional elrick body style.. but his jazzers look most nice... Congrats

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Congrats, Rick. Great looking bass. Hope it exceeds your expectations.

16. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Congrats on the Elrick. I'm a GS-5 owner. I'm all for the excitement of a new instrument, but, ah, that first review sounded a little bit L.A.ish of New York. I'm much more of a mid-Atlantic/London Elrick owner.

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am from the south and didn't understand your post. What's a GS-5? It's early here so pardon me.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Nice bass - and I love the finish!!!

19. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Elrick Gold Standard 5-string.

20. rickreyn

rickreyn