Obligatory Mothman Check-in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ffutterman, Sep 21, 2017.

1. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Anyone see it lately? Last I heard, it was sitting on the wall of some music shop in Virginia (I think).

2. Bump for curiosity. I miss seeing that slab around

3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Is there a Slenderman bass?

fretlessguy likes this.
  4. Schemaman

Schemaman

Jun 16, 2018
    Touched it today, my hand shriveled up like Dumbledore's
    1529165290867804122559.jpg

5. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    It seems like lack of forearm contour would make that somewhat uncomfortable to play sitting down.

6. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Those guitars look awesome.

7. That store is awesome!
    I can spend days and days in there...

Schemaman likes this.
  8. Schemaman

Schemaman

Jun 16, 2018
    It is such a cool place. They had a lot of really interesting items in the store including a devil girl guitar. This is my first day here, so I'm not sure if it's a party foul to post something not related to bass, but here is the picture:
    20180616_125123.jpg

9. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    The legend lives on

10. What is the name of the store? They should be pushing some type of mystical tourism. Maybe letting people conduct seances before it.

GregC and Schemaman like this.
  11. Schemaman

Schemaman

Jun 16, 2018
    That is funny. It’s called Action Music in Falls Chuch Virginia. In addition to the oddities, they have some really, really nice vintage stuff. It felt to me exactly the way a local music store should to feel. Great place.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  12. Thanks! I found their website. They don’t list The Mothman in their inventory.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It’s not in their inventory. It’s just there.

It appeared on their wall one day with no explanation. And one day it will disappear, again with no explanation.

In the meantime don’t touch it. If you’re wise you won’t even look at it too much or you’ll…see things.

14. Yep ..it’s still there

15. Is there a price tag? Or do you need to sign a contract in your blood?

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You can’t choose it. It chooses you.

The price is only known to its possessor. Or maybe it’s the other way around?

As the Necronomicon has said, The Mothman bass is not truly a bass. It is the physical manifestation of a multidimensional being and guide that merely appears as a bass in out own spell guarded dimension. For as the Mad Arab of the Necronomicon has warned:

And while there are those who have dared to seek glimpses beyond the Veil, and to accept HIM as a Guide, they would have been more prudent had they avoided commerce with HIM; for it is written in the Book of Thoth how terrific is the price of a single glimpse. Nor may those who pass ever return, for in the Vastnesses transcending our world are Shapes of darkness that seize and bind.

The Affair that shambleth about in the night, the Evil that defieth the Elder Sign, the Herd that stand watch at the secret portal each tomb is known to have, and that thrive on that which groweth out of the tenants within—all these Blacknesses are lesser than HE Who guardeth the Gateway; HE Who will guide the rash one beyond all the worlds into the Abyss of unnamable Devourers. For HE is ’UMR AT-TAWIL, the Most Ancient One, which the scribe rendereth as THE MOTHMAN.”

:eek::cautious::nailbiting:

17. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Action is great - been shopping there since their first location in the late 90s when it was just Matt (the owner) and a guy named Steve, more or less, in a tiny basement shop. Their second location was also a basement shop, oddly enough, but was bigger. Their current location, ground floor beneath a recording studio, is very nice although it used to be a doll and dollhouse shop or something, at least when I recorded an album upstairs in '05, so the creep factor from THAT may have summoned the Mothman.

Their newer staff is great, too - Aaron is their bass guy, he's a touring metal bassist so he isn't always there. They used to have another bass dude who looked quite a bit like Ed Friedland but was not him, he claimed. =0)

Schemaman and HaphAsSard like this.
  18. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Uh-oh...
    o_O:nailbiting:

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021