Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Obligatory New Bass/Peavey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trevorus, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I finally brought it home. I had it on layaway (and my wife nearly killed me), but after a bit of talking, she was ok.

So, without further adieu, here's the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Very nice! I had a white one back in the day and wished I had kept it. I will soon be unveiling my new Peavey as well. Just got it yesterday.:hyper:

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Very nice indeed. Congratulations. I have always liked the look if the Foundation and the matching headstock rocks. Let us know how she sounds and plays.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I mentioned last week that I picked up a Foundation for $125. I really need to get a digital camera because I am getting some great compliments on that bass' color, salmon.

Speaking of great Peaveys, I played one of the import Cirrus basses today and I was completely blown away! I didn't even know it was an import until I saw that little bitty price tag. The bass was right at $600 and it had a perfect Cirrus tone. The fit and finish were outstanding. This bass looked like a $2,500 boutique bass instead of an Indonesian import. The import Cirrus could give a nice alternative to those who are checking out Tribute L-2500s and Skyline 55-01s. The Peavey is cheaper and as well made, if not better, and it sounds great. More and I am considering getting my face slapped by my wife and breaking my two bass rule.:bag:

5. I had a fretless Foundation for a while and it was a well made, great sounding bass. I sold it because I didn't like the tiny neck.

6. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Doc -

This was a Cirrus BXP, right? Was it a 4 or a 5?

7. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

LoNote -

Are you gigging tonight? If so, where?

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice looking bass there. I'm glad the missus has said you can keep it.

Rock on.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Iota, I guess it was the Cirrus BXP. Dang if I wasn't impressed! As I said before, I may have to risk being a victim of domestic violence and get one.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I really like the pickups. I'd swear that they were dimarzios. It sounded funky with the dead strings and bad setup, but I knew I had a jewel. I put some slightly used D'Addarios on it, and it sounds fantastic. It is one of the most versatile passive basses I have ever played. I'll have to get some more pics of the electronics cavity and such. The construction is flawless!

11. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I have the BXP 5 and the US 4(Cirii). The BXP is one helluva deal...

Kim

12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Hey, you´ve scored a nice one Trev. Congrats. Glad to hear your wife is so supportive.

BTW, I´ve seen that wall before :D

13. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Definitely an excellent bass. I used to get huge compliments on my tone when I had that bass. Now that your wife has let you live you will probably find the same thing when you start gigging with it.

14. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I already have noticed it. It's a bit different for me, since all of my other basses are active pickups, active preamp, or both. But I am really liking to be able keep it plugged in on stage and not worry about the batteries going dead. Also, this thing has fantastic shielding. Thick aluminum foil on the inside, and the inside of the control plate has this mirror finish aluminum applied to it. So, if I ever really need a mirror...

I also really like having a 2 piece neck, as my spector with the 3 piece was super stable. I'd imagine that this thing will perform as well as it did. Also, the tuners are super nice. Really smooth and very solid. And the all steel bridge is nice as well. It's cool to know I just scored a USA instrument for about 2 bills. That's with the original hardcase, which looks nearly new.

The only thing I have yet to get used to is the pickup rings, which I may change to chrome ones like the yamaha bb series. And the double cut body is just sort of plain. Doesn't really stand out all that much, but I have wanted an all black bass for a while. I may also have a pickguard cut for it that I'll probably mount in some creative way. I'm thinking of doing a tortoise shell p-guard.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That bass shares a lot of DNA with the Dyna-Bass I used to have. The tuners are top quality OEM Schaller, they are EXCELLENT, but very heavy, do you get neck dive? The body shape is ho hum, but the construction is first rate (as you've noticed). Probably a poplar body. Pickups may be ripe for replacement. Does it have a neck tilt adjustment?

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I've been playing some with this thing, and it holds the bottom very well. This bass actually has the most responsive and useful controls on any passive bass I have used, and maybe even more useful than a lot of actives. With the neck run at 6 and the bridge at 3, it gets this big growl that cuts really well. Reverse that and you get ton of snap without losing the bottom. I don't know if I will be changing pickups at all in this thing. I really like it too much!