1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Obligatory Pickup Replacement (not a rant, exactly)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tegzsa, Oct 29, 2018.

1. So, the back pickup on my USA 75 reissue Jazz has always sounded "weak", but I put that down to the positioning nearer the bridge. Recently, though, it seemed to get worse and this was made very clear when I bought myself a Mooer Sweeper that made some very odd noises. I tested the electronics and got the fabulous "1" reading from the pickup leads at the pot.

Could it be the pot? Nope. The leads? Nope. Take everything off and test the pickup. Bingo.

Long story short. I live in a country with "erratic" delivery service, and to which a lot of companies don't ship, so I was a bit stuck for choice between a Seymour Duncan bridge pup or a set of Custom Shop 60s. Not wanting to risk a mismatch, I went for the latter.

Changed the pots at the same time. Sounds a lot (like 100%) better. So now, I have a 60-75 Hybrid Jazz Bass.

Don't know what went wrong with the original, but it looks like this under the cover. Previous owner? Bad QC? Who knows. Mild rant over.

IMG_20181029_171314. IMG_20181029_171314.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  2. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    Don't dwell on how or why.
    Enjoy your bass and move on to other things.

NKBassman and Reedt2000 like this.