Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

obligatos and volume

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Jan 27, 2003.

1. After reading multiple posts I have pretty well decided to try a set of Obligatos on my Englehart ES9. I am wondering about one thing. How is the volume of the Obs? I am currently using spiro orchs which have considerable punch and give lots of volume with little effort. I would like to keep it this way. After playing several other basses w/ a mixture of gut, nylon, etc. it seems I have to work pretty hard to be heard. How is it with the obligatos?

Steve

2. I play weekly in a small-medium sized lounge with a jazz quartet. My bass is a 7/8 hybrid strung with Obligatos. I do not use an amplifier, and yet no one has any trouble hearing my bass in the farthest corner of the room.

I don't know if its the bass or the strings, but I'm always getting compliments on how big and warm my tone is. You may not be able to hear each and every note, but you can certainly feel it (which is what I'm shooting for, really).

I've always worked hard to get a big sound using as little amplified sound as possible, with strings fairly high.

3. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    obli's aren't as loud, punchy, or sustaining on my carved bass as spiro orchs, but are more 'organic' sounding (and feeling). i don't hesitate to play acoustically with other folks with them on.

sean p

4. Mike - could you explain "strings fairly high"? Do you mean set high off the fingerboard, or high tension strings, etc.? I'm also considering Obligatos. Currently I've got D'Addario Helicore Orchestra strings. They're not bad, but I hear good things about 0bligatos (especially from this forum).

5. By fairly high, I mean high off the fingerboard. I'll try to remember to measure it sometime and post the results here.

BTW: I have noticed a drop in string height since winter set in. I never had to use height adjusters on my plywood, but now I see their value now that I have a carved-top bass.

6. Well, I have them on and after they went through the stretching phase volume was no problem. I am VERY pleased with the volume and sound.