1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Obligato's vs Evah Pirazzi's

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kmanley_29649, Mar 4, 2010.

1. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    I have only been playing double bass for about two years, and a year ago I started the search for new strings to replace the Superflexibles that were on it. The first ones I've tried were Obligatos, and they are the only strings so far that I have gone back to. I really like the feel and tone of them, but I have been interested in trying Evah Pirazzi's too.

I am currently playing in a church band, with about 60% pizz, and 40% arco, but I also enjoy rockabilly, bluegrass, and stuff like that, so I do a bit of slapping here and there, so I definitely prefer a lower-tensioned string.

The sound I'm going for is pretty much as close to gut as I can get without the cost and maintenance of gut (I just can't afford a $500+ set of strings).

Also, for a while I was really into the Innovation Silver Slaps, but I just couldn't get a good arco sound out of them. I'm a little interested in the Innovation Solos, which are supposed to have a very similar feel and sound, but with a steel wrapping, which would make the easier to bow.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Evah Pirazzi Weich is probably close in feel to the Obligatos(without the string rolling, and durability issues). You might want to give those a try. I am intrigued by the Evah solos, but haven't yet had opportunity to try them...

3. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    I was leaning toward the solos, as I understand the Weich are slightly different sounding than the standards.

4. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't think the difference is night and day. Solos are going to sound different than Regular Evahs as well. I am not sure how many have tried the Evah Solos.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I haven't tried the Evah solos but have used the Evah standards and Evah weichs. I'm not the first one to note that Evah weichs seem to be what Obligatos were supposed to be! For me (and others), Oblis are a great sounding string in one's living room. Get them on the bandstand and dig in a little harder and they give up. Far too wimpy for me. The Evah weichs have that nice dark sound, don't roll (I never had a problem with Oblis in that regard anyway), sound more powerful than Oblis, are punchier, and bow better. If you like Oblis, you should LOVE EP weichs.

6. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    Thanks. Yeah, I've never had the Obli's "roll" either, as far as I recall. Looks like I'll be saving up to get some new strings soon, but I need a new bag first. My current one has the endpin poking out of the bottom.:crying:

7. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I see no similarities.

The Oblis were my least favorite string ever. Wimpy tone, would 'bottom out' if I pulled too hard, rolled so bad the E string was barely playable. Utter crap.

The Evah regulars are my string of choice on my Shen. The exact opposite of all the things I said about the Oblis. The things kick ass on my bass.

8. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I've used all the Evahs and currently am playing the solos tuned down. The main sonic similarity between all three flavors is that they are pretty dark strings, but they have their subtle differences. With the regulars, my Juzek never was as loud and full sounding. But after six months, I was worn out and needed an easier playing string. I loved the weichs on that bass until the G died a month ago. The solos are working well on the other bass. I would start with the weichs unless you know you want a looser string, maybe for slapping? Then go with solos.

I liked the Obli ADG for a while, too, although they wear out pretty quickly, I liked their sound. Brighter than Evahs. I couldn't get an E to sound clean on my bass.

9. Will Yager

Will Yager Supporting Member

May 7, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm playing on Obligatos now and have been pretty happy so far. I only had rolling issues for the first day or two of play. However, the set was an old one my teacher gave me. Before he gave them to me, I was seriously checking out the Evah weichs and will probably get some the next time I get strings. The Obligatos are easy on my fingers and I haven't really had the wimpiness issues that others seem to have. I was using Velvet Blues before them so the Obligatos bow like a dream in comparison. This thread makes me wanna try out the Evahs now...but remember that one person's experience with a particular set of strings may be TOTALLY different than yours. My teacher hated the obligatos and they sounded awful on his bass for pizz but I dig them.

10. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Will I have had the same experience with Obligatos. I thought they felt good, and had a very good sound. However, they don't last long at all I find. Maybe 5-7 months before they are dead. I would be interested to hear how you liked the Velvet Blues though. What is the tension like?

11. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Question for any of you: which has higher tension, Obligato or EP Weich?

12. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    I found the EP regulars to have the best aspects of Olbigatos and Dominants without their negative qualities.

The EPs have a beautiful tone when new, a nice thud to the pizzes, are easy to bow and easy to finger. They don't roll and don't make scratchy sounds if you don't have just the perfect bow attack.

But they still only last 8-10 months then die a rapid death as do other perlon strings. I found I had to often adjust the height of the bridge in order to have the "just right" balance of tension and playability. This may have had something to do with my short string length though (100.5mm).

The last set I had were on for about 15 months and I noticed the harmonics were off, they felt quite of mushy and the tone was plasticy sounding.

I've since started using Spirocore ADG Mittels and a Stark E and really like what they do for my bass and my playing.

13. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Have you tried EP's weich? if so could you compare the regulars with the soft gauge?

Thank you!

14. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Been awhile for me on Obligastos but I think the E was lower tension compared to the Eva Weich. The rest were very close, if anything the Evah Weich A/D/G might be a touch higher tension. Overall the Evah Weichs are stiffer though. That's memory though not side by side and as such could be flawed.

15. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    My memory jibes with yours.

16. Personally, I found the Obligatos too "dark" for my bass. And I need more sustain. If you want to buy 'em, I've got them for sale.

17. moopants

moopants

Oct 21, 2006
    Lake Charles, LA
    Are most people only experiencing about 10 months string life on the EP regulars? I want to put them on my bass but I'm worried about the short life.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020