Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Obligatos with the Click!"

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by powermans, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Gentleman,
    Have just completed a re-string of the bass.
    I have removed my set of "Corelli's" and have just installed my FIRST ever set of "Obligatos" on the advice from these pages...ie:- The majority of players that replied to my "String God's/ What strings are you using threads".The consenses of opinion seemed to lead towards "Obligatos".... So thanks to Quinn's and world postage I have a set of Obligatos slowlyyyyyyy settling into it's new home.
    Things I have noted straight away.
    1. The guage of the Obligatos to the Corelli's. in particular E string...At a guess I would say the E Oblgato would be at least HALF as thick again as the E Corelli. infact had to file out the hole on the tail piece to get the E and G to sit in place.
    2. Maybe I 've had the Corelli on so long I've forget how THEY sounded when I first began to work them in however, the Obligatos leave an OVERTONE .... A Click after each note is played... I figure that it will take a little more playing to work these string in.. this is of course when amplified only! Any comments on this one?
    3. Lastly, I know they have only been on the bass about two hours , but I gotta say that as far as sound, sustain,ease of playing.... the Corelli's are great strings. ( I know it's early days).:rolleyes:

2. It's a little late, but here goes:
    Obligatos stretch a lot for the first week, especially the first few days. You should have measured your string length before putting them on. As you keep bringing them up to pitch, the bridge is going to start tilting up. Knowing the string length before you start allows you to be sure your bridge feet maintain proper full contact with the bass.

3. Thanks DON for the info on the Obligatos. Yes , I realise about the week or so for the strings to bed in. I did not know about the Bridge tilt! I am just about to go and check it out right now!
    Is there anything else I should know regarding the Obligatos?
    Thanks again,
    Mick