Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Obligatos

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by MysteryKay, Jan 20, 2005.

1. MysteryKay

MysteryKay

Jan 20, 2005
    After 2 weeks of lurking around in these forums, (and a year of playing Red Labels) I finally decided to try some Obligatos on my (alleged) Kay C-1. Got em today and put em on. They brought a tear to my glass eye. Thanks to all who have posted string advice on these forums. They have been incredibly helpful.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I had a kind of funny experience with Obligatos. I just put on my second set, after having been a Spiro guy for years. The first set of Oblis knocked me out, and honestly, they weren't really dead yet, but you now how it is when you have a fresh set laying around ;)

After installing set number two, I began to think, Jeez, what did I ever see in these? They felt fine but sounded kind of dull, and quieter than the set I replaced. I was actually considering throwing on a set of Spiros.

Now, after a week, they sound great, I'm back in love with them. That nice glassy attack and the big warm fundamental are all there. I don't think I was just hearing things; hard to tell sometimes. It was just a bit strange.

3. MysteryKay

MysteryKay

Jan 20, 2005
    They added at least 20 dB to my sound. ;) At the same time they are about twice as easy to stop. Figer that one out... I'm (obviously) pretty new to the db but these strings are (i fear) going to turn me into a nut. Just can't put it down! My only fear was that I would loose some growl on the low e. The growl is still there, albeit a bit darker growl but growl nonethless. And yes, I love the glassy attack. It is just an all around higher quality sound.

4. Interesting. So they are weak sounding when you first put them on, then come to life after 7 days. I had an Obli D for 2 days, and it was so anemic sounding next to an Oliv G that I took it off. Maybe I shoulda given it more time.

5. I just got a set that I'm dying to try, but I have a non-adjustable bridge, & am a bit afraid that the height might not be right for them. About how high off the end of the fingerboard do you guys have your Oblis?

thanks,
    craig

6. MysteryKay

MysteryKay

Jan 20, 2005
    changing tension when they stretch? Mine are still stretching...

7. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    I've had similar experiences with Obligatos. IMO they need time to stretch out/break in like gut strings. My oliv G was a little dull sounding for a few days, but then it came to life and is now my favorite string. I think bowing the strings helps them break in quicker, but that could be my imagination.
    Craig I think you will be fine putting on the obligatos. I have gone from obligatos to spiros to a oliv G and D with no change in bridge height, although I keep it sorta high anyway. They really aren't that much thicker than spiro orchs. Enjoy
    -Del

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    About 5mm-8mm, from the G to the E string.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

That about where I keep mine as well. Maybe a dab higher. I switched back to a set of Obligatos after playing flexocores for a year. I am mostly happy with them this time except for the G, which I hated with overwhelming passion the first time around, and only have a moderate destain for this time. Although, I am playing a much darker sounding bow all the time now. If I broke out my old bow I might discover I hate them just as much as I ever did. :)

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've had the opposite reaction; I love the G, after listen to the nasally honk of Weich for so long. The E string, OTOH, needs to be dealt a pretty severe blow to match the balls of the other three. But that was true of the Spiros too, so I've just kind of gotten used to giving the E a mighty whack when I venture down there. I've actually come to enjoy it :smug: .

11. Thanks for the input! My weichs are @ about 8-9mm (g to e), so I guess I'll go ahead & try out the Oblis on this bridge & maybe plan on putting on an adjustable one when they are dead.

bro.craig